Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Posting fishing reports

Posting fishing reports

There was a comment in the Jumpinpin weekend report in the saltwater reports that people don't post reports anymore because of people jumping to conclusions.

I replied to that comment but don't want to hijack the thread, so I am reposting my reply here for comments and feedback.

Honestly? I think some people (not you personally) need to take a teaspoon of cement and harden tf up. If ya not going to post reports because someone on the other end of a computer has an opinion different to yours which they express in an appropriate way, then I feel sorry for ya. How do you cope?

Ausfish is a chat forum. People have different opinions and should be able to express them (in an appropriate way). If people need EVERYONE who replies to agree with them or congratulate them - well there is a well known name for that syndrome - small man syndrome.

I reckon people should be able to comment if you are holding your fish wrong - e.g. lip grippers by the jaw only, if you have what appears to be undersize or oversize fish or have exceeded the bag limit, fishing in green zone etc etc - AS LONG AS THE COMMENTS ARE WRITTEN IN A RESPECTFUL WAY.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Posting fishing reports

Here is a comment from me. Last years marlin season was a ripper. Lots of people caught their first or lots of people caught several marlin.

Taking the marlin out of the water after a strong fight and holding it against your shirt for a photo is not good for their survival. Removes the protective slime and decreases their chances of survival. No probs for the first, but I wish more people would just take a photo in the water after that for quicker release and less damage to the fish.

On the other hand it pretty boring to see the same ppl always posting negative stuff on peoples reports.. If someone does it to me i couldn't really care less. But you also have to look at the spirit of posting a report, if somone has caught there first marlin and picked it up for a pic thats one thing.. then if you constantly see cricket score pics of dead fish in a box from up north, thats another etc etc..
    Who cares really...
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I think the C&R regime needs to take a step back when someone takes a perfectly legal catch and puts it into the esky. It is a personal choice to C&R, not an expected result.
    I do C&R a lot but i will take one or two good fish home for a feed. I will not take just legals for the table, the yield is not worthwhile, so why kill 6 fish for the same quantity of meat as one or two decent sized fish.

One other thing i detest is glory killing sharks, rays and vermin. No animal deserves to be killed just because it is what it is. In the Pine i have come across several kids glory killing little river whalers for fun using baited drums on several occasions. Those sharks are all wasted. Makes my blood boil.
    Jack.

I usually read pretty much all the reports and can't think on of anyone who constantly posts negative comments. I am just sayin that people are entitled to express their opinions and make comments and not all comments have to be "great catch", "nice feed mate", "You are a legend" etc.

You have misunderstood my post if you think I am standing up for C&R only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Here is a comment from me. Last years marlin season was a ripper. Lots of people caught their first or lots of people caught several marlin.

Taking the marlin out of the water after a strong fight and holding it against your shirt for a photo is not good for their survival. Removes the protective slime and decreases their chances of survival. No probs for the first, but I wish more people would just take a photo in the water after that for quicker release and less damage to the fish.
    What if their intention was to keep the Marlin for a feed? Not everyone releases Marlin! I for one think the baby blacks are great on the chew and if I were to catch one at the Breaksea M&G it will be barrelled gutted and in the esky. Just sayin.....

Macca, what sized Marlin would you keep ??

I C&R heaps of undersized fish so cant see why people jump up and down for keeping legal fish...

Cheers
    Brett

Nothing wrong with keeping a Billie for the table. I have had mixed results from the ones I have kept but there is no reason not to keep a couple each season. Depending on what research you believe a reasonable number of the C&R Marlin will die over the following day or two
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I usually read pretty much all the reports and can't think on of anyone who constantly posts negative comments. I am just sayin that people are entitled to express their opinions and make comments and not all comments have to be "great catch", "nice feed mate", "You are a legend" etc.

You have misunderstood my post if you think I am standing up for C&R only.
    All good mate, I was just making a simple statement too. Was not about your post at all.
    Jack.

I don't post reports looking for praise... I post reports to let everyone know what's going on and to generally try and help..... It's not so much negative comments that I have received but I see it going on all the time.... The jumpinpin post was just another example....

Another one that comes to mind was JustJack... He used to post some very good reports with good fish..... He now doesn't post because of the BS that went on....everytime he put a post up he would have underhanded comments basically saying hi posts were bullshit...I have fished with Jack and he is a good fisherman with a lot of knowledge.... He fishes at least once a week still and gets good fish but can't be assed posting.....

It's a shame but there are a lot of people in the same boat I believe..

Would like to know why the reports have dried up?? Are people not fishing anymore? Or am I right in saying people can't be assed?

Have a read of Justjacks old post "it's raining snapper" for an example.

I remember Justjack and his reports and I do remember some of the criticism he copped. Must admit I had difficulty believing some of his catches myself.

People who post reports with a bit of info a doing others a favour and giving a 'heads up'. It is a damn shame that so many of the people who used to post on ausfish have stopped posting reports. Would be interesting to know why.

Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

In my opinion I think folk are fundamentally fed up with keyboard assassins who are self appointed judge, jury and executioner. No-one likes a smart arse but yes there is a limit to what you should and should not post. Many have given up, you have been round long enough to see so many go.

Think about it - why would you put yourself out there when more often than not the element who make lots of assumptions crucify the bloke without all the information, it's disheartening.

We are all concerned about declining fish stocks and maybe this is the motivation for the crap for some, personally I think different species are more prone to overfishing (a lot of reef species) but others not so much, maybe others vulnerable species differ from mine or the majority.

Yes we live in a democracy but really if you can't say anything respectfully (doesn't have to be complimentary - just respectful) then don't touch the keyboard.

today we went to Western rocks, Hutchies and travelled about 150 km for not a fish in the box.

Craig

[QUOTE=liltuffy;1513515]Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

In my opinion I think folk are fundamentally fed up with keyboard assassins who are self appointed judge, jury and executioner. No-one likes a smart arse but yes there is a limit to what you should and should not post. Many have given up, you have been round long enough to see so many go.

Think about it - why would you put yourself out there when more often than not the element who make lots of assumptions crucify the bloke without all the information, it's disheartening.

We are all concerned about declining fish stocks and maybe this is the motivation for the crap for some, personally I think different species are more prone to overfishing (a lot of reef species) but others not so much, maybe others vulnerable species differ from mine or the majority.

Yes we live in a democracy but really if you can't say anything respectfully (doesn't have to be complimentary - just respectful) then don't touch the keyboard.

today we went to Western rocks, Hutchies and travelled about 150 km for not a fish in the box.

Craig[/QUO TE]

You poor bastard "Craig".

Quote Originally Posted by liltuffy View Post
    Jeremy, generally I don't think people are looking for accolades. I think most people used to post as a bit of a heads up for others or the primitive urge for some recognition.

Craig
    Yep fish stocks are quite safe when we team up. As a matter of fact they probably increase during the time we are on the water.