Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Posting fishing reports

Re: Posting fishing reports

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    I can't wait until I can post a report on the fish I caught.....

So far I can definitely prove there are no fish whatsoever around Mud, Peel, Moreton or Straddie. There are no fish out from the Seaway in any direction, and none around the Pin.

Now that I've spent a year herding them into one or two tiny areas I plan on taking my bag of Snapper soon.

Bloody Hawaiian Netmaker and his posts of those beautiful snapper on plastics is what lured me into starting fishing with those soft plastic fish repellents. Now I've been too long at it to give up and use proper bait like reel men do....

I will post on here as soon as I stun one by accidentally jagging it on the retrieve.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')
    one day you'll thank me for those posts mate. how far away that day is will be up to you. in the meantime I hope you have been developing some fashion sense and have ditched that pink supre bag
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    I never post a report any more and even more rarely a comment on Ausfish. I ve been given a serve so many times just for having an opinion. And yes I found myself getting into the negative as well and I took a good look at myself.
    Its the culture on Ausfish... its not managed properly and as a result many of the good posters on here I started reading are all gone. Why, because some of the other forums are better managed and seem to find the way to establish a great culture and dont tolerate the rubbish. Its a shame because I have enjoyed a lot on here and met some great people and learned heaps from them.
    I just feel safer putting my reports elswhere. Some of my recent catches have been taking the bag limit, and Im pretty sure I would be slammed for it on Ausfish. Just sayin and answering the question.
    Flatzie
    Sorry Flatzie - but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Ausfish is managed very well.
    The thing you have to remember is that people are allowed to have an opinion or a viewpoint that is different to yours.
    When you are posting on a public forum - you are in a sense giving people the right to give their 2c about what you have posted. Some of it will be positive and some negative..

That is just a fact of life. You need to be able to take the good with the bad - in anything you say or do (not just here on Ausfish) Some comments (positive and negative) will be constructive - some will not. Whatever you hold to be valuable to you - file away - whatever doesn't work for you - discard.

I have a "concern" with people posting photo's of large hauls of fish - for no other reason than it gives the greenies and those who want to lock away our fishing grounds, ammunition. Look, it's a real no brainer here - but we don't need to be handing them fish on a platter (so to speak). and by "large hauls " of fish - I'm not talking 10 or 20 here - but cricket score catches - 50, 100 and more...
    My thoughts are - by all means post photo's of the best fish etc. but we need to be a little smarter about what we post in the public domain.

This is my opinion - some will agree and some won't - but that's OK. I'm not going to stop posting because someone might have a go at me about it (my opinion). I am more than happy to explain it and at the end - we can agree to disagree.

If they sink to the level of abuse, or name calling - that's their problem, not mine.

I think labelling the culture at Ausfish "Negative" is bit of a generalisation that really only applies to a "few" - I think you will find most of those have been banned anyway.

Anyway, my 2c.

Mark

Gotta say that I read pretty much every saltwater report posted on Ausfish for a number of reasons
    - collecting info to plan my next trip
    - keeping tabs on what is biting when and where
    - picking up tips on techniques and locations
    - bored and jealous
    Been a long time since I can remember reading anything 'negative', 'Worst' I can remember was someone offering some good advice on how to hold a flathead for a photo about a month ago. Mostly the 'negative' or critical replies I can remember come from trolls or newbies who don't last long, or maybe those posts get deleted by the mods before I read them. Just doesn't seem to be an issue at the mo

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    Sorry Flatzie - but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Ausfish is managed very well.
    The thing you have to remember is that people are allowed to have an opinion or a viewpoint that is different to yours.
    When you are posting on a public forum - you are in a sense giving people the right to give their 2c about what you have posted. Some of it will be positive and some negative..

That is just a fact of life. You need to be able to take the good with the bad - in anything you say or do (not just here on Ausfish) Some comments (positive and negative) will be constructive - some will not. Whatever you hold to be valuable to you - file away - whatever doesn't work for you - discard.

I have a "concern" with people posting photo's of large hauls of fish - for no other reason than it gives the greenies and those who want to lock away our fishing grounds, ammunition. Look, it's a real no brainer here - but we don't need to be handing them fish on a platter (so to speak). and by "large hauls " of fish - I'm not talking 10 or 20 here - but cricket score catches - 50, 100 and more...
    My thoughts are - by all means post photo's of the best fish etc. but we need to be a little smarter about what we post in the public domain.

This is my opinion - some will agree and some won't - but that's OK. I'm not going to stop posting because someone might have a go at me about it (my opinion). I am more than happy to explain it and at the end - we can agree to disagree.

If they sink to the level of abuse, or name calling - that's their problem, not mine.

I think labelling the culture at Ausfish "Negative" is bit of a generalisation that really only applies to a "few" - I think you will find most of those have been banned anyway.

Anyway, my 2c.

Mark

Mark,

Where's your fishing reports?
    How many fishing reports do you average per year?

I too read most fishing reports and appreciate the effort guys put into these especially the ones with bugger all caught and decided it's only fair to share and started putting up reports myself. I'm happy to share and know how much info can be gathered from a pic, especially a spread of fish (a hell of a lot more than an individual fish pic) and have done so. I have received negative posts but none offensive in anyway and respectfully decided to share less to keep the minority happy.

I have definitely change my view after reading your comments on mass kill pics and will re-continue with posting all my catches without the fear of offending because theres others that enjoy the posts and at the end of the day you can always look away.

Posting fishing reports

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    one day you'll thank me for those posts mate. how far away that day is will be up to you. in the meantime I hope you have been developing some fashion sense and have ditched that pink supre bag
    Fashion sense! You have the hide to pick on my fashion sense? A bloke whose shirts are so loud they would frighten the dog?

No mate I have stuck with it since you fellas poked fun at it. I like it because it stands out and is easy to find in the cabin. A bit faded now.., more like salmon than pink.

But if pink is good enough for Phil, then its good enough for me.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Quote Originally Posted by bannana View Post
    Mark,

Where's your fishing reports?
    How many fishing reports do you average per year?

I too read most fishing reports and appreciate the effort guys put into these especially the ones with bugger all caught and decided it's only fair to share and started putting up reports myself. I'm happy to share and know how much info can be gathered from a pic, especially a spread of fish (a hell of a lot more than an individual fish pic) and have done so. I have received negative posts but none offensive in anyway and respectfully decided to share less to keep the minority happy.

I have definitely change my view after reading your comments on mass kill pics and will re-continue with posting all my catches without the fear of offending because theres others that enjoy the posts and at the end of the day you can always look away.
    Hey Banana,
    Did you even read my post in context?

I actually really enjoy your reports. (and I don't need to look away from your photos). You misunderstand me - I don't begrudge you catching a heap of fish nor posting reports. (as long as they are not wasted or dumped) . Every now and then you post picks of good catches - divvied up between a few people (Ie; 40 fish between 4 people = 10 each) - you don't appear to exceed the bag limit and I am pretty sure that you don't get out to the red grounds every day or even every week? - How often do you get out there and bring home an esky full? Once a month, once every couple of months? Certainly wouldn't call that massive fish kill. BUT, this is my point - any greenie looking for ammo is going to google phrases like "massive fish kill" etc. - and guess what they are going to find - this very post!
    Now, why on earth would you want to give them ammunition to use in their fight to keep us from fishing? It's not about offending anyone on ausfish - it's about us being a bit smarter - protecting the sport/pastime/lifestyle that we all enjoy and love. For us and for our kids. We need to see the bigger picture here.

Can you not see that?

Incidentally, I see you have only posted 7 reports in 6 years - so not sure why you are asking me how many I post per year??? I don't think you have to worry about "offending people" yet.

As for my fishing reports - I post them every now and then. However I have not (until recently) had a boat good enough to go out wide to the grounds that you are so blessed to be able to fish. It would be foolish to take a 15' quinnie to the places you go.
    I often think that my meager catches of a few snapper or sweetlip are less interesting than your (and others)exploits - so I guess I just didn't bother and I probably should have.
    Additionally - my area of expertise is the more boating side of things - boat building, trailers and obviously my local area. - So my posts tend to reflect that.

Now that I am in a position to venture further offshore - I will be doing so and can only hope that I too can fill my esky with the colour red when those rare opportunities come around. - Will I post my reports then - absolutely. Will I be conscious of all I have said above - Yes, of course.

Hope that explains my 2c a little more clearly.........

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    I often think that my meager catches of a few snapper or sweetlip are less interesting than your (and others)exploits - so I guess I just didn't bother and I probably should have.
    Correct Mark, probably could have, because although these seem like meagre unexciting catches to you, they may be the current holy grail for another angler, any and all info is worthy in such instances.

Kev