Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lowrance Elite 7 HDI

Re: Lowrance Elite 7 HDI

Try resetting the device back to its default settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

My Elite 5 DSI has had one hiccup, the door over the mapping card was not 100% watertight and my map card died completely.
    I suggest anyone with a Elite 5 or 7 put a piece of electrical tape over the slot before closing the door on your card.
    Apart from that it works well.......loses bottom in less than 1m of water......same as most sounders do anyway.
    Jack.

Hi All,

Did any of you sort out your issues? Just started thinking about buying a new sounder today and the HDI 7 was one i was looking at? Not sure after reading this...what would you buy instead for under 1K?

If I was buying again I would probably go for the simrad nss7. Bit more dough but you can plug in a lot more add ons later.

Cheers Nic
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Hey paullee. for the same sort of coin . i would be recomending the garmin echomap70s. 7" as well. but with the benifit of being a far better pinch to zoom touch screen. as a base sounder i find the 77/200 a little more usefull than the 83/200 in the elite 7hdi. the down imaging component of the HDI transducer.. is... ok. its not up there with chirp based or LSS "from simrad and lowrances hds system" or humminbirds system. its..... ok. its kinda like looking at an old analog black and white tv. vs high def.

the echomap70s has the benifit of being able to have a propper down imaging transducer added. if desired. but id save the coin unless you want to get serious into structure fishing "bream etc"

heres a few videos i made showing some.... stuff. for thoughts

Moose
    rm

Thanks for the vid Moose that looks awesome. I know there are a lot of variables and set ups need to be right but every sounder i have ever had has not been able to hold bottom while doing anything more than 5 or 6 knots and especially in depths over 50m. I currently have an old Lowrance 525 which works ok except when under way...makes it hard to find bait when trolling for pelagics which is what i like to do in the warmer months. Another general question but on average At what boat speed would you guys expect water turbulence etc to affect sounder performance in say 24 fathoms? As stated would be good to be able to see water depth and pick up bait balls at speed... is this possible with a correctly set up middle of the range 50/200 transducer/ sounder?

haha im glad you mentioned fathoms. i like to tell people i am 1 fathom high but on a similar note ... i was a big jules verne fan and i found it funny that 20,000 leauges under the sea. well. 20,000 leauges would be down to the bottom of the ocean.. through the earths core.. and out the other side. and about 70,000km into space lol SOME SUBMARINE!

anyway back to the point. your old 525 was an analog system. so it would be rather poor at picking up returns at speed. unless STUPID powerful. newer sonars "digitial.. and broadband' will work better. inherently a transom transducer WONT be as good as a inhull. but thats ok. cutting holes a big job but i get decent returns at about 15knotts. in about 18-22meters. 77 or 50khz would perform better with its wider beams