Thread: Bloodworming license W2 info wanted

Bloodworming license W2 info wanted

Hi all,

Just wanting to scan the masses to see if any one had any personal experiences with a W2 Bloodworm license.

I am looking for something to do on the side for a bit of extra coin. I currently dig them in the mangroves for personal use. I can dig my 50 in about half an hour and I have only just scratched the surface of my secret location. Being the mangrove variety they are different to the ones you currently get in the bait shops, thinner, but they work just as well, trust me! I actually prefer them as I find they go on the hook better than the ones half as thick as your finger.

Anyway I have found licenses for sale but buying a license is not an option for me at this stage. Researching the license conditions I have found that a license holder can have up to 3 diggers working under the one license and that is what I would be interested in.

So if anyone has personal experience in these matters, knows of where you would find contact info for a license holder or knows if there is much luck in selling the mangrove variety worms I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

Re: Bloodworming license W2 info wanted

Mate your best bet would be one of the commercial fishing brokers that have one of these licences for sale and get his contact details and see whether you could lease the licence to see if it's what you really want to do but to work the licence you'll need at the minimum a master fishermans licence and if you access the grounds via boat a coxswain ticket and with the new rules the boat will have to be survey standard so if you can't access your ground by foot your looking at some time and money just to start out in the fishery which will hurt the back pocket just in it's self before you even think about buying the plus side is those licences arent all that expensive apposed to other licences.
    The only other option I can think of is contact QSIA and see if they have a member on their register they can put you in touch with.

Jason i would be checking what worms the licenses cover, those worms you speak of are totally different as you say to the ones you buy now "Cribbies"

I doubt if a license exists for your type of worm, i use these worms as well and i don't think they would be a viable alternative.

As it stands now i believe commercial diggers are restricted to certain areas and this is now where near you get the worms you are talking about.

Interesting subject but i personally don't think it would be viable even if it was possible to get a license, cheers wayne

^^^^^^mister positive.

If you are in Brisbane, then contact Paul Dimmock (East Coast Bait). He owns a worm digging business at Kippa Ring and has spare licences for some people that dig for him in his group and sell to him. His number is 32031881 and leave a message. I hope you have a strong back. The worms you are digging are called blood worms. The worms Paul digs are called mud worms or commercial worms or cribbies.

Mate, keep an eye on www.nationalsystem.amsa.gov.au it should be updated soon with a licence exemption for this type of activity, so you may only need a rec boat licence not a coxswain's.
    If you don't carry passengers and use the boat (<7.5m) in sheltered waters only, it shouldn't need to be 'in survey' just commercial rego, but you will need a safety management system.

Seatime, a commercial boat licence is not needed for worm digging, if that is what you are referring to. Also the big difference between commercial worms and blood worms is that blood worms will last 2 days maximum and commercial worms can last 10 days or more if kept under controlled conditions. If you are selling to shops then that makes all the difference. No one wants to buy dead smelly worms.

I believe my info is correct. a boat used for any type of commercial use is classed as a 'domestic commercial vessel' under the new national system. at least a coxswain is needed to drive a dcv unless an exemption can be applied. there are no state regs applying to licences and rego of commercial boats anymore.

I am a licenced commercial fisher myself. The commercial wormers that I know often walk to where they dig. Sometimes they will take a boat. The boat itself is not part of the licencing as it is with commercial boat fishing where a boat has to show the licence numbers. The wormers boat rego is normal recreational registration and so is his licence. In the wormers case the boat is not used for commercial purposes in the same manner as a netter, crabber or trawler. I will ask a wormer tomorrow night when I see him. I know in the past you did not need a "small vessels operating certificate" or Coxswains as I did when I was fishing. Pretty useless if you need a coxswains to drive from pinkimba ramp to the boat passage to bring back a bucket of worms. lol