Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Fish Illegally

Selling Fish Illegally

I know of a man at Buxton (near Childers) that goes whiting fishing 3 times a day and is selling his catch to pay for a new caravan. He does the same thing when the prawns are running and has done so for years. Even goes up north further at times for the Barra. It is so wrong.

Re: Selling Fish Illegally

Report him to Fisheries and get him SLAMMED!

No offence intended, but if you don't you are no better than he is; as is anyone who stands by and lets a crime happen without saying anything.

Ben.

Put it this way I pay more than the price of new caravans in fisheries fees yearly to work commercially legally and get major hassles from fisheries and have to put up with this shit all the time from recs selling their catch and fishing daily as commercials to the point where I can't even sell my own fish sometimes,because the general public is flooded with illegal fish and has no need to walk into a fish shop.
    You've only got to go down to your local prawn spot or fishing spot to see the guys out everyday bagging out to know who they are yet fisheries don't seem to do anything when it's sold privately, too much work they need information on where it's sold but that's the catch no fish shops in their right mind would take black fish it's too risky and they can't claim the fish on tax so it's not viable too do so.
    So as long as recs keep bagging out and selling privately they won't have any dramas at all it's easier to just target commercial guys because it's easy they know where we're gonna be before we even know less work and they want us out of the fishery that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    Report him to Fisheries and get him SLAMMED!

No offence intended, but if you don't you are no better than he is; as is anyone who stands by and lets a crime happen without saying anything.

Ben.
    X 2. let him find another way to buy a caravan. profiting from seafood is the domain of the pros - they pay for it.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

quote...and they can't claim the fish on tax so it's not viable too do so............

im sure any shop that buys on the black market also would not be declaring the income, so they wouldn't pay tax on it

Quote Originally Posted by babbs View Post
    I know of a man at Buxton (near Childers) that goes whiting fishing 3 times a day and is selling his catch to pay for a new caravan. He does the same thing when the prawns are running and has done so for years. Even goes up north further at times for the Barra. It is so wrong.
    So is this man a relative? A friend or associate? Or someone you know is on here and are calling them out?

Have you reported it?

If not, why?

Each state contact details- http://www.fishnet.com.au/informatio...s_summary.html
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Doesnt make sense at all...

Why wouldn't you dob him in?? Is it here say from mates or have you actually seen it happen with your own eyes.. even better would be for the fisheries to work out who he is selling his catch too. Chances are they are also buying illegal seafood off other scumbags, they need to catch the buyers and fine the sellers hard also..

The commercial guys nor the government own the fish in the sea, so if he wants to catch a few and sell them good luck to him. At least people are getting to enjoy some fresh whiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    The commercial guys nor the government own the fish in the sea, so if he wants to catch a few and sell them good luck to him. At least people are getting to enjoy some fresh whiting.
    that kind of attitude is the reason indo fisherman pillage our waters (theirs have been flogged to death) although i guess your logic would also dictate that they are not our waters either
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Crunchy Caravans Pty Ltd

Crunchy I see you also must be a shamature we may not own the fish in the sea but we own rights that we have earned legally to harvest certain varieties at a sustainable level which leave us substantially out of pocket and deserve the right to make a living without criminal fisherman making it unviable for us.

Robsue fish shops already get heavily policed to the point of not buying off legal commercials and just prefer imports so the thought of them of buying black fish just doesn't even cross their mind at present a fish shop usually runs two tills one for cooked fish which incurs gst then one for wet fish which doesn't incur gst so do you think they have some way of running a black till for cash it's too much of Hassle that they can't claim, they get plenty of recs coming in offering but none I know of would do it's not worth the headache for the tiny margin made on seafood

Maybe the tax man would be more interested than fisheries. Undeclared income. Or even centrelink if he is on benefits and not declaring income.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Robsue fish shops already get heavily policed to the point of not buying off legal commercials and just prefer imports so the thought of them of buying black fish just doesn't even cross their mind at present a fish shop usually runs two tills one for cooked fish which incurs gst then one for wet fish which doesn't incur gst so do you think they have some way of running a black till for cash it's too much of Hassle that they can't claim, they get plenty of recs coming in offering but none I know of would do it's not worth the headache for the tiny margin made on seafood
    none you know would tell you.. If you think running another till for cash is a "hasstle" you are on another planet.. gets done all the time, and will continue. The restaurant scene is the gig they would use not co ops or fish wholesalers etc.. Tax is one thing and who would care if its the profit margin that matters...

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but for my buyers I know they wouldn't if they did they'd offer me cash which they don't, besides I like mine on the books for paper trails so everything balances out nicely so anytime the taxman or fisheries has something to say or wants to take away some fishing rights I have all the evidence I need to continue in business. The funny thing is most recs ask more for their fish than what the commercials even get for theirs and that's with a invoice the money they want is best got selling privately which is where it seems to end up most times and is near imposable to police.