Thread: check your rod guides

check your rod guides

disappointing post this one. emptied 5 sandies out of my pots this morn and then went for a couple of drifts at the peel artis. landed and returned a 42 cm snap before deciding to try for some crabs at deanbilla. dropped the pots and headed for myora for a fish. put a live sandie (over legal) on for bait and second drift I get smashed only to be busted off at the rod tip. close inspection revealed I had a tiny chunk out of the last guide. managed to lose a second crab by way of missed hook up angling the rod to avoid the line falling into the same groove. lost my last decent sinker (haven't unpacked the heavy gear from breaksea yet), got the shits and went home to do some maintenance. a good reminder on thorough scrutinising of the guides. going back tomorrow with the heavy gear.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: check your rod guides

Think it was Tuskies Netmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Think it was Tuskies Netmaker?
    almost certain of it. either tusk or cobia. a shark would have bitten through the leader. I was using a paternoster rig with a short dropper.

I was up the rainbow chasing tuskies a month or so ago..... and A bloody big shovelly ate my sandie...... fingers are still sore from fighting it on a heavy handline..haha!!

geez they can pull!!!

sucks losing a tuskie to something like that...they're hard enough to come by at the best of times....!

i'm sure it was no shovel. 2 reasons:

1. there were distinct bites and no hoovering
    2. i lost it

Haha...too right Netmaker!!

Although mine did bite a bit which surprised me.....and it went like the clappers when i set the hook.... but yeah I ended up having to tie the line off to the grab rail to break the bastard off...had it been a tusky it would have fallen off!!! :-)