Thread: Another Which/Where? transducer thread! Haines Sig 1850L hull thoughts/opinions?

Another Which/Where? transducer thread! Haines Sig 1850L hull thoughts/opinions?

Had my haines 1850L finished for awhile now and its time to start setting up the electronics a bit better. Currently Im running a lowrance lcx37 and a hds7 and at the moment I have a 83/200 transducer I believe only suitable for shallow water and its mounted on the transom. And I don't get good readings at speed which is what I would like. So I need to upgrade and or re position. The reason for the thread is the haines 1850l has a very weird hull design with heaps of planning strakes etc and a little pod thingy at the back which all makes water turbulence whilst underway. So I have a few options being
    1. Buy a lowrance 50/200 transom mount transducer and mount it as shown in the first photo and try to get it reading correctly
    2. Buy a airmar p66 transom mount transducer to suit the lowrance and transom mount it and try to get it reading properly
    3. Buy a airmar P79 in hull transducer to suit the lowrance and mount it in the inspection port shown circled in red ( I have not had any experience with in hull transducers and worry that shooting through hull will compromise fish echos and readings on the sounder)
    4. Buy a airmar B60-20' through hull transducer and mount it under the inspection hatch circled the rough location of this is circled under the hull. My concerns are it being the correct place to get accurate readings and also at speed. Id rather not drill the hole if it wont perform at its best but If it will then im happy to drill the hole required.

So you opinions thoughts and experience are welcomed as I am just unsure what way to go. My biggest throw off is the hull design. And what will or wont work best with its design. Appreciate any information at all guys.
    Cheers Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Another Which/Where? transducer thread! Haines Sig 1850L hull thoughts/opinions?

Or I could install a airmar B60-12' closer to the keel (red circle) just before the back pod bit the hull here is around 14 degree's deadrise and in the previous post the hull in the other photo is around 22 degrees deadrise. Whats everyones thoughts?

Re: Another Which/Where? transducer thread! Haines Sig 1850L hull thoughts/opinions?

The thru-hull options will perform better than any of the transom mount options. Not much doubt about that.

Just helped a friend install Airmar SS264n pair in his Sea-swirl. So had to cut 2 x 95mm holes!

Performs brilliantly in all conditions we've had it in so far. Holds bottom perfectly at 70km/hr in 85+m which is as fast as we've been since install.

I know that $ always need to be considered, but if you're going to cut a hole in the hull, consider going for a 1kw ducer with greater sensitivity than the B60. B164 might be worth a look.

With transducers, its not just power you need to consider, sensitivity is critical as well. The SS264 are 50 times more sensitive than the P66 at 50khz and i think something like 15 times more sensitive at 200khz.

Last week we were fishing in 85m and could see a 7" soft plastic wafting down at 60m depth on a 5/8oz jig head.... Just amazing sensitivity and discrimination. Were looking at it on a HDS12 touch screen.

Id vote for the thru-hull option,
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Cheers for that mate. I will very rarely fish over 100mtrs in this boat so I didn't really want to go a 1kw job but understand what you are saying. Out of the 2 locations circled in red where do you think would be a better installation spot closer to the keel or out a bit wider as shown in the original post.

I've got a 5.9m lewis walkaround. Where it's mounted in the picture it reads perfect at all speeds. Plus you don't lose any sensativity of shooting through the hull.

I just sikaflexed a block of cutting board to the hull so I didn't have to drill any holes. Then screwed the transducer to that.

cheers mitch I cant run a transom mount in the center of my boat due to the hull design it would have to much turbulence. where my bungs are in my photo isn't the back of the transom its another foot/half further back.

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    cheers mitch I cant run a transom mount in the center of my boat due to the hull design it would have to much turbulence. where my bungs are in my photo isn't the back of the transom its another foot/half further back.
    What's to stop you mounting in on that vertical surface near the bungs?

I would think to much drag? and more of a possibility of breaking the mounting bracket. I know the p66 transducers have a tendency to break if mounted to low but definitely food for thought

Tim. You can't beat a thru hull. The lower position would probably read better but would be a little more exposed to damage.
    Mitch_Wahoo, I would never trust cutting board material just being glued with Sika. Over time it will fail
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Hi Tim I owned a 630le and my sounder would loose bottom anything over about 15knts. I repositioned it to were the old speedo pick up is in the photo attached. Once that was done sounder held bottom at WOT approx. 37kts. Oh and my transducer was fitted on the what is considered the wrong side of the boat the passengers side.