Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: small blacks tracking...

Re: small blacks tracking...

Quote Originally Posted by shauno555 View Post
    Im heading out this weekend off point lookout. There have been patches of warm water pushing in and have already seen some Hoo at the 7's 4 weeks ago. The Bureau was saying some very warm water for this weekend. And know of sailfish and the odd black off Mooloolaba. I will be pulling 3 skirts and 2 divers.
    The divers I hooked 3 blacks last year on the red head white body rapala cd-18's but had trebles on and couldn't get a decent hook up. I have changed the rear trebles to single's.
    I use large jigging hooks for my singles. Try and get the in-line eye's so only need 1 split ring but if not 2 splits are fine or use an assist cord to tie on. I also beef up the split rings to 150lb or 200lb as I buy these in bulk for jigging but also have 300lb for popping.
    All divers I run 1 foot of single strand wire and for the skirts just the pre-rigged mono.

Hopefully get to give a report with at least one billfish in it after the weekend!!!

Cheers
    Shauno
    I am going to do the same i think with the rears on a few halco's The drama putting an assist hook on is knowing murphies law the hoo would bit them off... Be interested to know how you go mate. i am itching to get out..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    I am going to do the same i think with the rears on a few halco's The drama putting an assist hook on is knowing murphies law the hoo would bit them off... Be interested to know how you go mate. i am itching to get out..
    Unfortunately NOTHING!!! Managed 3 strikes and 1 hook up on mutton birds. Other than that got 2 small strikes but didn't see what touched them. Both on a Blue Purple skirt. No bait along the 30m line. No bait along the 50m line and nothing along 70m line. Heaps of flying fish on the way out to point lookout but nothing after that.
    Had no hits on divers even though had great bait on the 7's.
    heard a few calls of little blacks up the Cape and the Trench. Will try again in bout a month.

Cheers
    Shauno

cheers for posting mate.. Shame about the strikes that didnt stick.. may have been mactuna or little yellowfin.. The flying fish usually are a great indicator for dolphinfish.. Did you get and decent water clarity? Ive heard there is a fair bit of algae still in the water keeping it green. Hopefully we get the deep purple stuff full of baitballs soon

Quote Originally Posted by lbger View Post
    cheers for posting mate.. Shame about the strikes that didnt stick.. may have been mactuna or little yellowfin.. The flying fish usually are a great indicator for dolphinfish.. Did you get and decent water clarity? Ive heard there is a fair bit of algae still in the water keeping it green. Hopefully we get the deep purple stuff full of baitballs soon
    I found the water was alright past the 30m line east of point lookout. Wasn't the deep purple we all love to see but wasn't green either. Temp in close was half a degree warmer but after the rain it seemed to settle and even out around that 23.5. hopefully it will get to that 24 and above soon.
    I will be going up the sunny coast to get among some of their action. Was going to go up 2 weeks ago but the billfish comp was on and didn't want to "intrude" on that. Hopefully get into it there for a little bit of practise before they show up in numbers here.

Does anyone know if the Fads on the arti reef just north of the seaway have been redeployed yet? They take them away for the whales every year...

Southport
    Amberjack and yellowtail king on the 50s east of Southport, cobia on the artificial reef off South Straddie, small black marlin on the 24s, tailor off the north wall of Southport Seaway, jew near the pipeline, garfish on the weed banks around Sea World, Crab and Wave Break Islands, flathead between Crab Island and The Aldershots and mangrove jack close to the rock walls and bridges in the Coomera and Nerang Rivers.
    Doug Burts Fishing Tackle World ph:5532 0678
    http://www.fishtac.com.au

Really?? small blacks on the 24's?? Anyone else know this to be true?? taken off another website...

Typical of a fishing report....:-)....

just make up something that sounds good......any of us here could have written that report.... pretty generic rundown on what is a possibility in mid to late october.....

yep just as i thought mate.. was kinda hoping though that someone could put there hand up and go .. yeah i got one lol, wishfull thinking probably..

well.. the northerlies are howling again set to blow the dog off the chain over today and tomorrow... but set to really blow its a## off from the south east on friday.. hopefully it will turn the water a nice clear blue/purple colour for the weekend.. Whos going out for a troll??

shoulda stayed in bed this morning... the water is as green as it gets off the seaway today and cold.. 21.6, Didnt see any bait anywhere except for the south end of the 24's there was a bit but nuthing on it at all.. was even floatlining for snaps and couldnt loose a bait.

The reason im posting though is the fact that just inside the 24's i saw a free swimmer!! just a little one but still....
    Last edited by nathank; 26-10-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

apparently the water is really great up off fraser island and there should be a few little marlin starting to show.. Anyone been out off fraser trolling lately?

Hopefully they are there in two weeks for our M&G
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Havent been on for a while, but was happy to see this thread
    Watch Point Lookout Water temp 25.4 and above and bait
    Last year every time the temp was up the small blacks were there in numbers, the bait stayed in the same place for 2.1/2 months.

Im watching this thread as well as water temp BLOW South Easterlies BLOW THE WARM WATER IN !!! CLOSER

Cheers
    Mark

The water was cold and green off Point Lookout on Monday until after lunch when a hard running blue current line pushed in.
    It was full of flying fish and also seen a few tuna schools and a couple of yellowfin around 15kg as well.

Thats some pretty good news.. now we just need some big southeasterlies!!!