Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: small blacks tracking...

small blacks tracking...

After last years ridiculous season on small inshore black marlin i thought i would see if there would be any interest to see if we can track them as they move down the coast based on catches or reports.. last year they turned up en mass on the Goldy late November early December and where very common on the 25m line.. i have heard (mate of a mate) that they are still up around cairns..
    Anyone heard anything yet?

Re: small blacks tracking...

There was a few at 1770 in september....

They are starting to pull Afew around the top of Fraser and roonies, platypus Bay Area at the moment been a few missed a few weeks ends back..

There hasn't really been any reports as yet from top of the sunshine coast (I usually keep a good eye on Smithys charter reports). I'm in Northern NSW so as soon as they hit you guys I'll start fishing for them. My mission is to get me and my mate onto our first and then if I get them sussed out I'll try and get the Mrs onto one.
    I've got a few skipping gar rigs I'm planning on using as well as a few different skirts.
    One thing I want to try though is hard bodies with singles. Any advice as to which model single would go best on halco laser pro 160 & 190's?

small blacks tracking...

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    There hasn't really been any reports as yet from top of the sunshine coast (I usually keep a good eye on Smithys charter reports). I'm in Northern NSW so as soon as they hit you guys I'll start fishing for them. My mission is to get me and my mate onto our first and then if I get them sussed out I'll try and get the Mrs onto one.
    I've got a few skipping gar rigs I'm planning on using as well as a few different skirts.
    One thing I want to try though is hard bodies with singles. Any advice as to which model single would go best on halco laser pro 160 & 190's?
    I reckon we had over 10 strikes from marlin on a halco laserpro 190 redhead last year, also caught plenty of hoo as well....

Sails and Blacks were hooked/landed at Mooloolaba on the weekend.
    One boat got 3 sails on Sunday.
    There has also been several Blacks hooked off Noosa and some off Point Lookout over the past 3 weeks.
    One Black was also lost at Hutchies on the weekend while nothing turned up in the Trench.

I'll put my predictions out there. Being a very dry spring and dry start to summer predicted (el nino) I 'm calling it for an early season, same as last year. Water temps are up and current is running hard looking at sst's, also some heavy tackle fish on the goldy over past month an early sign. I recon break sea will go hard last week oct first week nov. Goldy will happen nov through early dec. South west rocks will happen christmas through Jan. Big cyclone in feb will stuff it and port Stephens will be a fizzer. That's my call.

Cheers, Scott

Ive heard on the grapevine that the amount of little blacks caught in the shark nets up north so far have doubled compared to last year.....so we will see ....fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    I recon break sea will go hard last week oct first week nov.
    That is music to my ears!!!!!!!!!!

My mate from Sea fever Sport fishing Whitsundays fished the local light tackle comp last weekend and the results were pretty dismal. They came second with 3 bill fish for the weekend (and he's a gun skipper) Coupla pics for ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    I hooked one on a red head white body halco 190 last year in december in the prop wash it near jumped in the boat lol!
    cheers for the responses guys.. (lbger is also my username on the work computer)
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Anyone heard anything over the weekend.. maybe even about how hard the current is coming down.. water temps or baitfish concentrations... This wind is driving me mad on the weekends and now im stuck at work again....

I heard of one fish off Mooloolaba,but thats it.Not sue if it was caught on the weekend.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Im heading out this weekend off point lookout. There have been patches of warm water pushing in and have already seen some Hoo at the 7's 4 weeks ago. The Bureau was saying some very warm water for this weekend. And know of sailfish and the odd black off Mooloolaba. I will be pulling 3 skirts and 2 divers.
    The divers I hooked 3 blacks last year on the red head white body rapala cd-18's but had trebles on and couldn't get a decent hook up. I have changed the rear trebles to single's.
    I use large jigging hooks for my singles. Try and get the in-line eye's so only need 1 split ring but if not 2 splits are fine or use an assist cord to tie on. I also beef up the split rings to 150lb or 200lb as I buy these in bulk for jigging but also have 300lb for popping.
    All divers I run 1 foot of single strand wire and for the skirts just the pre-rigged mono.

Hopefully get to give a report with at least one billfish in it after the weekend!!!

Cheers
    Shauno

Quote Originally Posted by shauno555 View Post
    I'm heading out this weekend off point lookout. There have been patches of warm water pushing in and have already seen some Hoo at the 7's 4 weeks ago. The Bureau was saying some very warm water for this weekend. And know of sailfish and the odd black off Mooloolaba. I will be pulling 3 skirts and 2 divers.
    The divers I hooked 3 blacks last year on the red head white body rapala cd-18's but had trebles on and couldn't get a decent hook up. I have changed the rear trebles to single's.
    I use large jigging hooks for my singles. Try and get the in-line eye's so only need 1 split ring but if not 2 splits are fine or use an assist cord to tie on. I also beef up the split rings to 150lb or 200lb as I buy these in bulk for jigging but also have 300lb for popping.
    All divers I run 1 foot of single strand wire and for the skirts just the pre-rigged mono.

Hopefully get to give a report with at least one billfish in it after the weekend!!!

Cheers
    Shauno
    If you find bait schooled up, catch a few and fish them bridled with a circle hook.The billies are on the bait and very fussy I believe.Good luck.I'm hoping to find a few on Sunday.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....