Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: small blacks tracking...

Re: small blacks tracking...

yep if the weather plays the game.. its lookn good so far and i have my crew locked in.. cant wait!!!
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I saw a pretty good window this afternoon and headed out the seaway for a quick arvo session.. i knew that the inshore stuff was cold and the temp gauge confirmed it at 19.6.. what the hell is going on!! anyway knowing that the waverider buoy off lookout is about 9ks out and was reading 23/24 i headed straight out 15ks... it was still the worst colour green it could be and had lifted to a measly 20.4.. There were a few birds swooping but not really diving and a mate was with me and couldn't understand why i didn't want to do any trolling anyway so i humored him and put out a few small tuna lures in case there was a stray mac-tuna or something.. next thing off the port about 30meters was a free swimmer on the surface... it was in no way worried about the boat and we changed course to put the lures right in front of him... nothing (of course) we got to circle and get a really good look at him about 4 times.. was a little fella about 20/25kgs tops and was in 42m and the temp was 20.2 and filthy green.. dunno what the hell he was doing there but anyway that the update.. pretty depressing really except for the little lost marlin.

Might have been trying to warm up in the sun!! Haha

I'm hitting point lookout Saturday hope its better!

Yeah im thinking of going fishing on Sunday but it wont be trolling thats for sure..

Hoping the water warms a little and trying my luck around the cape Saturday too......
    "On Site"
    5.6m Quintrex Legend Centre Console

Bit of a spike in the water temp today especially off the goldy....still only about 21deg but looks to be on the rise...

I will be out in the morning.

how did ya go mate?? I cant believe it.. by the looks of it the goldy inshore even spiked up to 23.. sitting at 22 now, hope you had some good water at lookout.

image.jpgNope shithouse!!

best I could find off lookout was about 23.5 but still green.... Dropped a good fish on a swimming gar at the sevens saw a splash then it went deep but rubbed through the leader.... Not confident on calling a marlin although the deckie reckons it was...

10 mins later had a good hit on the downrigger and it turned out to be a dirty big whaler!

lucky some snaps and dollies saved the day...

Heading out tomorrow around the cape, anyone do any good out in that direction today?

Anyone get out off the goldy today?? Looks like a good spike in the water temps up to 23 inshore and the buoy off point lookout was showing 25.3.. Hopefully the water is a bit clearer than its been over the last few weeks inshore...
    ive saved the petrol and am going giant herring fishing tonight.. (need to hear my drag sing somehow lol)

While its a little unusual for me, I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion

the eddy in the EAC this year is similar (but more intense) than 2007.
    In '07, this eddy moved the current and the fish away from the inshore waters off the Goldy, and they re-emerged in close down along the NSW coastline.
    the majority of the early run small blacks off the Gold Coast for that year were caught out on the 50's and wider, until the eddy broke down and the current returned back inshore.
    (I remember 1 day in particular that we got Black, Blue & Striped marlin on the same day out in 300fa, and while its not so unusual to get a slam, I can only remember getting it the once from one area)

these SST images from IMOS shows the eddy, and for comparison I added one from last year when the fishing was good inshore

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Time will tell where the eddy moves to, or how long it takes to break down, but until it does I'd be concentrating efforts on fishing wider rather than staying in too close.
    Hope that helps

G
    S***fish & chippy

Mate, it was 25.9 out wide of Noosa yesterday.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Mate, it was 25.9 out wide of Noosa yesterday.

Tony
    That latest SST image is from the 11th
    out of curiosity, where a bouts wide off Noosa were you on that image and does it match up with the temps shown? Current speed and direction?

the point of my post was to help show the differences from 1 year to the next.

G
    S***fish & chippy

cheers fish n chippy... im hoping that it just isnt dependant on this as we have had a lot of northerlies this early part of the year and green stuff is getting dragged up from deeper onto the surface.... a week or two of south east should sort it out (i hope). Had a mate go out two days ago off the cape and they scored awesome water a few big spanish and hoo...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquat...82320501880849

this is worth following as well..