Thread: Lady Elliot Island help.

Lady Elliot Island help.

Hey all,

heading home just before Christmas and was hoping to get a fish and dive over nighter around Lady Elliot Island. I've never fished up that way so I thought I'd ask the brains trust for advice.

whats the best fish to target between Chrissy and New Years? Is 1770 the best place to launch from?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Lady Elliot Island help.

Bump

Is Lady Elliot big enough to get out of the wind if it blows up?

anyone here regularly fish up that way?

Hey mate I would suggest you pm marvin, he lives bundy and know area like back of his hand. He is really nice guy, and found him willing to give advise and help, not many left.
    Having said that we fished bundy comp this year for first time, wind blow up so headed for lady Elliot island, but found no real protection, so headed up to lady musgrave for night. Found good anchorage and protection, just my opion
    mark

Thanks for that Stansy.

I am coming from the sunny coast.

Is 1770 the shortest trip to Lady Elliot or is Bundy the best port to launch from?

Have a look a this map. Drag map up and zoom in and you will see the islands. You will also be able to see the location vis a vis Burnett Heads and 1770.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

lady Elliot is much smaller than Musgrave.

Also, you have to think about the prevailing winds, not just the distance to 1770 or Burnett.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

There is no fishing at Lady Elliot itself as it is in the middle of the Marine Park.
    The Herald patches about 5 mile south of Elliot do offer hard coral fishing or there is the deeper drop-off fishing to the east just outside the green zone.
    If you are only going to fish the Elliot area and not head up to Musgrave, Burnett Heads is the place to go from.
    Elliot will be great for the diving though.

you covered it well there Oog, I've been working at Lady Elliot for 6 years driving dive boats, if you have any questions
    re diving feel free to ask. One of the best places in the world to see Manta Rays mainly at Lighthouse bommie, plus it has a range of dive sites including caves, a wreck and lot of reef. Just make sure you don't anchor on any reef ie anchor on sand outside the no anchor zones, and dont use the moorings as they are privately owned. If you do go onto the island just be aware there are small planes coming and going so if the airstrip red lights are flashing don't cross. Lady Elliot has a dive shop for tank refills.

hello powderfingers,
    I worked there in the mid 80s as Dive Instructor, absolute magic place some of the best diving in the world are the morays stoll at the light house bommies there were 3 Mrs, Mr and MoFo moray

Thanks for all the reply's.

It's looking like the weather may play the game between Chrissy and New years. Powederfingers - What would you say are the top 4 dives around Lady Elliot? I don't suppose you could supply the marks for them?

Will the dive shop be open between Chrissy and New years?

hi yakka yes the wildlife there is world class, there are a number of big morays residing there still, sorry lovey80 just saw your post now, sent you a pm