Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: small blacks tracking...

Re: small blacks tracking...

Quote Originally Posted by fish'n'chippy View Post
    While I would prefer to fish in nice blue warm water, all except the 1 fish I got yesterday in 25deg, were caught in green water under 24deg.
    dont put all your faith in the temperature by itself.
    I saw one free swimming a couple weeks ago in under 21 degree water and it was pea soup green.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Went out on sunday to Point Lookout
    Snuck over a glass out Jumpinpin bar on first light and stopped for some bait
    ran down the outside of Straddie also glass out up to PL trolled around for a few hours with Lumo Pink and green skirts
    also pulled Halco deep divers and shallow divers
    Got 1 stripey tuna otherwise Nothing but you have to be in with a chance if you are out there..
    Water was 23.3 to 23.7 around the Jumpinpin area and up the back of Straddie crossed over the front and it jumped to 25.3--25.4 degrees and 26 degrees out deeper, no real action I could see

I was hoping to temp a Spanish yesterday but they hadn't cooperated so went looking for some reefies and I picked one a black about 20 kgs at 9mile Caloundra on a large slimey about 8 metres below a float while on the drift at about 11 am, the breeze was about 10knts @NW just before it turned ENE. There was a fair bit of chop on the water. The fish was pretty badly hooked and was bleeding badly and in one lunge close to the boat it looked like it broke it's bill as there was a definite kink in it close to the head. It took quite a while to resuscitate the fish and it swam off rather groggily, what are it's chances of survival.

I noticed it had what looked like a collection of scales about the size of a 5 cent piece or slightly bigger on parts of its body, managed to get one off and it had what looked like a small circular mark in one 'corner' on the underside, I was thinking it was some sort of parasite. Unfortunately the 'scale' turned soft after being out of the water for a while and was useless for any further investigation. Any one know as marlin are not what I target and this is my first incidental catch.

"J" hooks?

for us, any fish that is gut hooked, hooked in the gills, or into the eye socket is taken without question. We have seen a lot of fish hooked in these areas released, only to pick them up 10min later floating. This was a contributing factor to making the change over to circles for bait fishing and hooking in the jaw area.

some fish survive having the bill broken, but recaptures are few which points towards the mortality rate being high.

small bills are good chewing, so while catch and release is a good practice, it's not always the best outcome.

G
    S***fish & chippy

f'n'c as mentioned was targeting Spanish so this was an unfortunate incident for us in that it may not have survived as it was a magnificent creature while fighting and jumping all over the place.

I would still like to know what those 'scales' were.

I also have since checked on the eating qualities in case it ever occurs again although I hope it will be in better condition for release as black marlin appear to have high concentrations of mercury and should be eaten sparingly if not at all.

The scales are parasites and look like they sorta jump and move all over them sometimes, a remora is not uncomon either attached to the underside of them. As for the high mecury rate it was a little one, mecury is accumulative and i would hazard a guess that it had not had time to get to a dangerous level, a 20kg spanish would be much older and more dangerous i would think.
    Woulda been fun though and congrats on the little guy.
    I went out today and was a bit hesitant to head to far out given the forcast. The water inshore to the 24,s off the goldy was still that pea soup green and almost totally devoid of bait, there were a few birds on the 12's and i put down the bait jigs to see what was going on. They were tiny little slimies a touch bigger than your index finger and lasted 5 mins in the tank before giving up the ghost.. went for a look up the artis off straddy and the FAD's still havent been put back after the whale season.. anyway didnt turn a reel, see a small tuna or see any bait balled up tight in 5 hours of trolling.. Im not going back out till it clears up and that will hopefully be after the big south east change thats on its way

sounds weird to say this but..... WOOOO HOOO!!!! The southeasters are here!!!!

G'day

They sure are.... can you turn the fan off though?

Southerlies generally stir the bottom feeders up, if this the same for the gamefish and pelagics?

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Its more the warm blue water that has been getting pushed far offshore of the goldy should get a good push back into close inshore waters.. If you think of the coast from say point look out to tweed its kind like a bay (of sorts) the southeasters push the warmer offshore waters into the bay. The northerly winds which we have more of this year roll the current over as it travels down the coast and it usually drags the colder water below up and wrecks the clarity... So fingers crossed after a week of this (maybe not so strong would be nice) it should change conditions for the better.

G'day

Fully understand what you're saying now, Willyweather's forecast is making saturday look like a maybe atm.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Fished aboard Viking11 with Billy Billson on Saturday and scored one black in the 40-50kg range out at the 40 fathom line. The GCGFC had it's annual light tackle comp on and there would have been 30+ boats fishing the area. Saw quite a few hooked up, not sure how many fish were landed over the three days of the comp but it seemed that quite a few were hooked on Saturday when we were out.

cheers for posting it up mate! I heard that there were 19 fish caught for the comp.. quick question though i was nearly out that far yesterday and found some really nice warm blue water but it was just devoid of any bait at all? Did you guys sound any bait or see it on the surface near where you hooked up?? I just couldnt believe that in 5/6 hours on the troll yesterday i didn't see one bit of bait bar a 3 inch single flying fish.....

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    cheers for posting it up mate! I heard that there were 19 fish caught for the comp.. quick question though i was nearly out that far yesterday and found some really nice warm blue water but it was just devoid of any bait at all? Did you guys sound any bait or see it on the surface near where you hooked up?? I just couldnt believe that in 5/6 hours on the troll yesterday i didn't see one bit of bait bar a 3 inch single flying fish.....
    Yep hence the 30 odd boats all fishing within the same area. Lots of bait schooled up, according to the deckie the area regularly holds bait schools. Not everybody was trolling. Some boats were pulling bait from the schools and drifting them back down.

Tournament Statistics For Gold Coast
    Boats/Strikes/Hookups/(Tag/Capures)/Marlin Tagged
    35 / 287 / 223 / 121 / 64

Looks like your deckie was Brad Job on Bill's boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Looks like your deckie was Brad Job on Bill's boat!
    Yep, Top bloke, did a great job on the day.