Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Monduarn - Fishing Advice Please

Lake Monduarn - Fishing Advice Please

Hi guys,

Me and a mate have planned to head off to Lake monduarn from boxing day till early Jan and make a week out of it. Alot of Barra fishing going on up there, apparently not overly big but around 80cm catches. Besides that, i am wondering what gear will i need for this trip? As my rod is busted and my mate needs to be prepped for fishing gear also. I don't want to get pricey on gear as this is usually not the type of fishing I do. Anything that is good value (budget gear), but solid and respectable is what i am looking for. Generally $100 rod, and maybe 100 - 150 dollar reel. Also what lines would i be using out there? What bait? I guess i need to know the ins and outs for everything when it comes to Lake monduarn.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I need replies soon as the trip is a couple of days away.

Re: Lake Monduarn - Fishing Advice Please

You will need 4-7kg, 5-8kg or 6-10kg rods with reels to match (either baitcaster or spin). Minimum 20lb braided line (though I would suggest 30lb) and 40 to 60lb leader.

Forget bait! You will need a combination of barra hardbody lures, soft plastics and surface offerings. A good sounder and GPS are also needed at Monduran.

Good luck!

Cheers

Pete

Could you recommend me a rod and reel? Prefer spin tbh... Probably the only way i can budget as well. As i said all up my budget is about $250...

EDIT: I was looking at shimano raider barra spin rod. Can someone link me one for my needs? There are so many types of shimano raider rods, looking for a spin rod...
    As for the reel was looking at a symetre 4000. I have a sienna 4000 but i dont know how it will hold up lol.

Contact (or better drop in on your way through) Foxie or Jackie at Foxie's Barra Havoc at Gin Gin. Get the good oil, grab a couple of lures that are actually working and get to casting.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Thanks guys. Anyone else on this?

I have got a 15 - 25kg uglystlik bluewater spin rod with a saragosa 18000. Could i use that to fish for barra? I know its for a higher weight range but would that matter using 30 to 80lb lines?

Any rod reel with around ten kilo is fine , heaps of combos at that price ...but I'm a daiwa man better build quality ... But for fail safe cheap fishing an Abu Garcia combo from any fishing store is good value, as barra fishing in monduran is all about lures and soft plastics .shallow s in the morning and arvo deep water during the day ...good to see all my babies grown up ...I stocked it with masa originally..
    Really can't go wrong with rod selection , there are so many out there ...as above drop in and see old foxie ... he will have combos there and all the necessary clips , lures , leaders ..

Oh and that rod is useless for barra fishing... you need something 7-10 kg castable ...with braid..I prefer 6 foot rods over the soft plastic style 7 footers for shear grunt and better flicking method. As far as rods lasting a kid won a comp with a twenty buck Kmart combo with mono. . It's how you use it that counts

Got them to put away Shimano Raider Barra Spin 662 2pc and a Symetre 4000fl reel. Should be good setup for barra.
    What size braid and leader will i need?

30-40lb braid to 40-60lb leader.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

i got 50lb braid 80lb leader. Rang the bloke who runs the charters out their and thats what he uses on his rods.

50lb and 80lb leader will get you a fish but if they are a bit picky downgrade your leader to 60lb. Needs to be fluorocarbon leader. Any hard bodied that suspends is best, color doesn't matter too much. Crystal Minnow and Jackal Squirells in gold or silver are good go to lures. The secret is good casting. You need to land your lure no more than 10cm from the log or weed your casting at. Twitch twitch, pause. Wait a few seconds then repeat! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sliMfish View Post
    i got 50lb braid 80lb leader. Rang the bloke who runs the charters out their and thats what he uses on his rods.
    Overkill ... serious .
    Twenty and thirty got it covered , 30 & 40 totally covered , ten and twenty for light handed folk and still won't have any problems

Got heavier line because the area is full of timber and logs.
    Plus that is the information i got from the town gin gin 20k out from the lake.
    I asked the bloke what line does he use, he runs the charter there.

Seriously, I wouldn't be waiting until I'm almost there to get a rod / reel / line OR my lures. Fair dinkum, if you're showing up there with a combo you've not fished with before, you're behind the 8 ball for starters. Having a rod, reel, line & leader combo that is suited to the lures you're casting should be first priority, 2nd is the fish fighting element of the combo.

Hope you get a few........
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I'm heading up there the first weekend in Feb, I've never fished for Barra before, can someone give me some hints please, what to look for, where to fish, best lures or bait etc. anything useful will be very much appreciated.