Thread: Combo recommendations please

Combo recommendations please

Hello members
    I am now looking at a 10-12 inch SI + DI sounder upgrade
    Finding it a bit overwhelming at the outset with all the competition out there
    Would you be kind enough to recommend one for my requirements:-
    - I'm only really interested in finding structure (not so much fish) in 20-35m range (in particular). Rarely deeper, but sometimes shallower.
    - I need combo unit (I presently have separate units), so it will often be in split screen mode hence the larger unit
    - currently using a transom mount on 6m hooker, should I be looking at through hull for SI & DI
    Thanks guys, I appreciate any comments

Re: Combo recommendations please

G'day

I'm a big fan of the simrad NSS series atm, the NSS8 is more than capable for what you want and fully customizable, however the NSS12 i believe you will have to buy a separate sounder module for the fish finder capability.

Plenty of good deals on, and imo, it'd be hard to go past Boating and RV for a fair price and service.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

^^ or hds 12 built in structure module?

Quote Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
    ^^ or hds 12 built in structure module?
    G'day

The NSS12 is the only one in the NSS series that needs an additional module to be added to enable the echo sounder. this module is the BSM1 or BSM2.
    Structure Scan (side imaging essentially) is also an add on in all of the NSS range.

Why have Simrad done this? to give more options on the bigger boats where these 12'' screens are more likely to be used, in multiples with complex networks.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

Thanks for the comments guys
    I've had a look around, and can narrow it down to one of those units (NSS12 or HDS 12)
    I recall being told SI/DI units only really work in shallow waters - is that still the case ?
    Thanks again

yeah mate. approximtely 40-50m is limit to get good sonar side imaging readings with the LSS2. I think you can get a little deeper with the down imaging but not much. But you indicated you were only going to use it in shallow water. Dont forget you still get the traditional 2d sonar as well. I perosnally would get the HDS12 given the price difference and the fact everything is built into one unit and there is no need for add-ons.

Ok great. I remember being told 25-30m was about their 'useful' limit when they first hit stores.
    And yes I am leaning toward that HDS12 for that reason.
    Time to melt some plastic!
    cheers

Just pulled the pin on an NSS8 myself, Aeon. They are bundling the NSS8 with the wifi module, cMap card at prsent - I paid under $2k from Trymax Marine. The NSS12 doesn;t have the sounder module built in (why I have no idea) but it is currently available as a bundle with the Wifi module, the sounder module and cMap card - not sure of the price on that now - somewhere in the low $3k's I think.

Why did I go Simrad? Firstky I have a Lowrance HDS5 in my tinney that I;ve been very happy with. A mate just put a NSS8 system on his new boat - plus radar and sidescan sounder and it's a pretty awesome system. I'll be looking at radar myself in around 12months. I liked how his system worked, and the included wifi module will allow me to only need one head unit in the flybridge. I can use an iPAd when I'm driving from the saloon -with full control over the head unit. So it ticked all the criteria and the price was good.

I'll let you know how I like it as soon as these bloody 25knt northerlies bugger off

Love my simrad, got a hds9 and a nss7 with wi fi and s scan. Use the nss more over the hds, and have been a hds user for years.
    The nss sonar is just so easy to soom and ajust setting.

As spelchek said, I also use my I pad as a 3rd screen.