Thread: LED set up for Camper Trailer

LED set up for Camper Trailer

Hey there guys , just trying to figure out a permanent set up for my camper Trailer . I want to set up some LED lights for the annex and cooking area. Anyone got any pics or ideas? Be interested in some ideas as to where your running the cords off the LED s also they are out of the way of kids etc. Any other lighting ideas and power / battery set ups with Camper Trailers also appreciated. Its exciting stuff this camper life , ive just purchased one after tenting it for many many years and im bloody Hooked.

Re: LED set up for Camper Trailer

Yes Craig, it is addictive. We run a set of outdoor connection firefly led's down the length of the annex with one into the tent part. We also have a led strip (about 144 lumens)we use for food prep and cooking. The firefly's we have on a remote for dimming and turning off when in bed.
    Iain

I brought my first CT earlier in the year as far as LED lighting goes you cant beat these http://korrlighting.com.au/camp-ligh...amp-kit-4.html they are dear but worth every cent. They use bugger all power so when you are away from a powered site the draw on your battery is minimal, I have only ever used three of the four bars one in the main tent and two in the annexe and once we have cooked and cleaned up we only run one and dim it down as they are super bright, they attract alot less in the way of bugs than conventional lighting does as well.

As far as ideas for setting up and modifying your CT goes everything I have learnt about this subject has come from these guys http://www.myswag.org/ like the Ausfish comunity they are an extremely helpfull bunch on Myswag.

As you have said setting up a CT is very addictive and like boats they can cost a bit but in the end it is well worth it, enjoy your new CT craigatcee.....
    Cheers Axl

IMG_0888.jpgIMG_0822.jpg[ATTACH]IMG_0822.jpg[/ATTACH]Hey thanks for your reply Axl and Chappy, yes they are bloody addictive to say the least. I have also hit the Myswag site and been blown away by the ideas people have with setting their CT up. This DC to DC stuff guys?? By the sound of it your half better off just running the Anderson plug straight through via 50 amp fuses hey..Is there a real need for DC charger?? I just do week here / there stuff with 600w inverter running laptop /phone chargers etc. And while Im on a roll , Is the 12v charger for when you have the luxury of a powered site to simply plug in or is the inverter powering the charger then to CT batteries???
    It probably sounds dumb but Im learning and want to learn heaps more. look forward to your reply.

Personally I wouldn’t put a DC-DC charger in as there is no need for it. If you are going to put power to the back of your tug you need to go through a VSR so you start battery will be protected I haven’t done this as yet but this is what I will be using in the future. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-DBC150K-150-AMP-CAR-ELECTRONIC-DUAL-BATTERY-ISOLATOR-CHARGER-SYSTEM-KIT-/290776322717?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item 43b39e929d#ht_2496wt_1210.

All I have done for 12V power (when not on a powered site) is put a 120amp/hr battery in a Projecta battery box which has both a cig plug and a merit plug as well as a battery condition monitor http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-...item43b651438d. I had an Anderson plug added as well so I can plug the 120W solar panels I have into it to recharge the system. I modified one of my jerry can holders to hold this, all I run is a 40lt Engel fridge the Korr lights and maybe charge a mobile phone, this set up should keep me going for a week no worries. A bloke of Myswag built this for me if you are in Brisbane he is at Ningi I can give you his number if you like.

I also have a 105amp/hr Blue Apple Thumper I got for half price, they are very expensive and when this one dies (hopefully not for many years) I will simply get another 120amp/hr battery in a Projecta box as above. This way I will use the solar to charge the Thumper which will run the Engel (which has the biggest power draw) and the 120amp/hr bettery will only run the LED lights so it will last a week without needing charging no worries but if it does need a boost the 120W panels will charge a AGM 120am/phr battery from 50% SOC (you shouldnt take a AGM battery under 50% SOC) to 100% SOC in around six hours as long as the sun is shinning. If the sun doesnt shine well that opens a whole nother can of worms, as I said these things can cost quite a few dollars to set up.

All I have learnt in the way of 12V power has come of Myswag and I am in no way an expert on this subject, Good luck...... Here is a couple of pics of my CT, 2013 Lifestyle Explorer

SAM_0263.jpg SAM_0248.jpg SAM_0249.jpg
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by craigatcee View Post
    IMG_0888.jpgIMG_0822.jpg[ATTACH]IMG_0822.jpg[/ATTACH]Hey thanks for your reply Axl and Chappy, yes they are bloody addictive to say the least. I have also hit the Myswag site and been blown away by the ideas people have with setting their CT up. This DC to DC stuff guys?? By the sound of it your half better off just running the Anderson plug straight through via 50 amp fuses hey..Is there a real need for DC charger?? I just do week here / there stuff with 600w inverter running laptop /phone chargers etc. And while Im on a roll , Is the 12v charger for when you have the luxury of a powered site to simply plug in or is the inverter powering the charger then to CT batteries???
    It probably sounds dumb but Im learning and want to learn heaps more. look forward to your reply.
    Not to sure what you are asking here craigatcee but a 12V charger http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-...item460a84224b is for charging the batteries via 240V.

A multi staged smart charger like in the link is the way to go for AGM batteries, you cant or should I say shouldnt charge a battery via a 12V as it will take to long and possible damage the battery.

There have been guys on Myswag who have used the 12V side of there gennies to charge a battery and it has ruined them.
    Cheers Axl

Hey thanks again. Hey Axle in dumb language I think Im confused as to why the 12v charger is placed on the CT.. Is it just for outside 240v power source to plug into it to charge battery?

they dont charge the battery with the inverter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey thanks again. Hey Axle in dumb language I think Im confused as to why the 12v charger is placed on the CT.. Is it just for outside 240v power source to plug into it to charge battery? Yes

they dont charge the battery with the inverter? Thats correct
    They place the 12V battery charger on the CT solely so they have one evrywhere they go. Most use solar to recharge but when the sun doesnt shin you will need a generator and a 12V battery charger.

You dont need the inverter in your drawing to run items that work on DC power 12V lights, car fridge etc you only need the inverter if you want to run something that works on AC power laptop, TV, kettle etc.
    Cheers Axl

Gotcha Alx and thanks for clearing all that up. I going to set all this out on a panel so its all there and ready to fix to CT. Goin to be a busy day running all the wiring for the LEDs through the Ct. Any tips there. Im goin to stick leds to my tent uprights (only 1 or 2) and have heat shrink over the top so its a permanent fix. Also up in the angles in bedding area and another in Kitchen. Just bought a Waeco 35litre 3 way so will try and work out where to put this also . Run that off my 9kg bottle maybe keep the bottle in the carrier and run short hose. 60 litre 3 way fridge freezer yet to be bought but it has to go somewhere also. Solar of probable 160w????
    Is this enough wattage for running the fridge off daily. Appreciate your tips Alx

Gotcha Alx and thanks for clearing all that up. I going to set all this out on a panel so its all there and ready to fix to CT. Goin to be a busy day running all the wiring for the LEDs through the Ct. Any tips there. Im goin to stick leds to my tent uprights (only 1 or 2) and have heat shrink over the top so its a permanent fix. Also up in the angles in bedding area and another in Kitchen. Just bought a Waeco 35litre 3 way so will try and work out where to put this also . Run that off my 9kg bottle maybe keep the bottle in the carrier and run short hose. 60 litre 3 way fridge freezer yet to be bought but it has to go somewhere also. Solar of probable 160w????
    Is this enough wattage for running the fridge off daily. Appreciate your tips Alx

Have a look at this thread for some tips on what to do regarding your wiring http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=29005.0 use the KISS principle craigatcee, dont over complicate it.

Three way fridges are great, once they are running on gas you will get weeks out of a 9kg bottle but they will need to be run of 12V whilst you are traveling, they need to be level and still to run on gas form what I understand.

As for solar a 160W panel will pump out enough power to keep up with your fridges as long as the sun shines. Try to work out what the approximant 24hr power usage will be for all your gear and get a solar set up to suit, there is a excel spreadsheet to help you work it all out in this thread http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31342.0

The main thing with solar like anything is you get what you pay for, if you can it is worth spending a few extra dollars on solar, if you go to cheap you may end up paying extra in the long run to get the performance you need so it is best to do it up fornt.
    Cheers Axl

I bought one of those stick-on LED strips. Though it was great i noticed the camper trailer poles started to rust where they were stuck on. I assume the electrical points on the back caused electrolysis. Korr (like Axl said) seem to be the go.
    Cheers

Ausfish Bronze Member

good info, thanks for sharing