Thread: Nmea link

Nmea link

Hi all,

Curious to know,is it possible to connect a 2013 90hp Suzuki to a hummingbird sounder through the nmea input?

I can't seem to find anything online about it
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Re: Nmea link

Nope, the 'birds are not NMEA2000 capable. So cant play. They are lagging badly behind in this regard.

Lowrance, Simrad, Garmin, Raymarine are NMEA, depending on the models. Best idea is to go to the relevant manufacturers site and lookup your model or an intended purchase to check, as even the NMEA2000 certified manufacturers vary with what they can display on different models.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I have a 998cxsi and it is

So yours is nmea compatible icebreaker?

I got a 998 Hd si but haven't installed it on the new boat yet.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Gilli fire the bird up on simulate it should come up in the views if not go onto the hummingbird America web site and register your sounder it will show if there are upgrades, download to sd card.Follow instructions to upgrade.Will have radar as well.

Sorry, ice breaker, but i do not think your 'bird is NMEA2000 certified.

In fact I just checked the NMEA website and no Humminbird displays are so certified. In fact Humminbird don't sell any NMEA2000 network components. Thats a fact.

Humminbird has their own proprietary ethernet network system, and there is a "gateway" interface that says it converts NMEA 2000 sentences to Humminbird ethernet protocol. Dont know how much that costs.

As to whether that gateway will allow the full range of NMEA 2000 engine data coming from the Suzuki engine thru the network to be displayed, is something i cant comment on, but i think it is very likely to be relevant to the OP's question.

What he probably wants to be able to do is simply and easily display available engine data from his Suzuki onto his gPs/sounder screen. At best, the answer is a maybe, providing that the Humminbird gateway can take and translate those sentences to their own ethernet protocol language.

Then there is a question about whether their units have "gauges" type pages available as standard or able to be set up. Like they are on Garmin, Lowrance, Simrad and others that are NMEA2000 certified.

Gilli, i think it would be best for you to talk to someone in HB customer service before you go to the trouble and expense of buying a Suzuki engine interface and a NMEA 2000 network kit and setting it all up with the hB gateway.

Ask them if this has been done before and get them to send you a screen shot of the "gauges" page on your model so you can see what is involved.

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....