Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snapper on SPs. Beginner questions

Re: Snapper on SPs. Beginner questions

In shallow water most of the "stuff" you are seeing on your sounder is just bait etc. This is what keeps the Snapper in the area so its what I look for rather than individual fish
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Now, what do your bay fisherman use offshore 30-80m? 1/2 with a 6 hook?. 30pd braid , 40 pd leader?

Offshore is a different kettle of fish. I use 20-30lb braid with 30lb leader. In my case jig heads can range from 1/2 to 4oz depending on depth and conditions
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

The other thing is that I don't use jigheads in shallow water like Peel or Wello. I use worm hooks and bullet weights and have done for a long time. You just don't loose gear and if you cast a bit far over reef then move over the top it and jiggle it and it comes off. There are some great hooks out there and overseas you can buy bullet weight kits. They last forever and the hooks are only discarded after getting too rusty. Fishing weedless is not an issue for snapper as they have teeth and grab their food. The best part is that the fish are pinned to the corner of the mouth making the hookup rate excellent.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ht-Fund-Raiser.
    Hey Walrus not trying to Hijack you thread mate but we have guest speakers covering exactly the questions you are asking mate,Nigel Webster is covering Moreton Bay shallow Reefs & fringe areas.
    Jasin Comino will be covering Fishing the Cape.
    A few of the boys from Zman & Wilson will be there answering questions,I hope to have a rigging table set up for using Zmans & bait presentation.
    We are supporting 2 Great causes on the night with all Funds raised going to Camp Quality & Coast Guard Redcliffe.
    Let me know if you need anymore info mate.
    Hope to see a few of you there.
    Dick