Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Clay Pigeon M&G Sat 7th December 2013

Cool Clay Pigeon M&G Sat 7th December 2013

Hi ladies,

As suggested by Muddy Toes, here is the official thread for a Clay Pigeon Shooting M&G.

The style will be Sporting Clays - also known as simulated field. I find skeet and trap boring...same target, same plane over and over again - unless you do it off the back mark, gun down on dusk.

Sporting clays is a little like golf (but with noise and less w#&^kers) in that you do a bit here, move to another location do a bit more and so on. Generally there will be 4-6 layouts with a total of 25 targets with vastly different targets, obstacles and terrain on each layout. Targets can be coming off towers, bouncing along the ground, coming from behind over your head, straight at your, etc.

You don't need to own a shotgun, have a firearms license or have any firearms experience. If you have a license and/or a shotgun, great!

You DO need to have the ability to listen, take direction, conduct yourself in a safe manner and have fun.

The venue will be Brisbane Sporting Clays on Mount Petrie Road at Belmont - about 1km up the road from the Belmont SSAA Complex. When you turn in to Mount Petrie Road from Old Cleveland Road, the first club is Brisbane Gun Club with trap and skeet layouts, then there is SSAA then you go over a big hill, down a dip and as you come to the top of the next rise, the driveway is on your left.

In terms of costs, it depends on the size of the group. If 6 or less are interested, then I will just run the day myself and it will be about $50 per person. That is range fee, 2 rounds (a round is 25 targets), ammo and hire fees for one of two guns - that is $0 to me and I don't want any money. I enjoy introducing people to the sport and educating people that not all legitimate gun owners are latent psychopaths. Hell, I have even converted some Greens supporters!

If we do a group, we will have the assistance of one of the range officers, it a set 30 targets, guns and ammo for I think $40-45 per person if memory serves.

As for dates, that will be determined by the response and what works out for the majority of people. I am thinking mid to late November.

There is drinks, snacks and booze at the range, but you are not allowed alcohol till you are finished shooting for the day.

You will need fully enclosed shoes (sneakers are fine), eye protection (sunglasses, safety glasses or normal glasses will do) and if anyone can supply disposable ear plug for nothing, that will save everyone a couple of bucks. Industrial ear muffs are too big and will scratch the stock on the gun. A hat and sunscreen are also advisable.

Anyway, let me know if you're keen and I'll start making it happen.

Ben.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 24-10-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Re: Clay Pigeon M&G

Quote Originally Posted by morphias View Post
    Hi ladies,

As suggested by Muddy Toes, here is the official thread for a Clay Pigeon Shooting M&G.

The style will be Sporting Clays - also known as simulated field. I find skeet and trap boring...same target, same plane over and over again - unless you do it off the back mark, gun down on dusk.

Sporting clays is a little like golf (but with noise and less w#&^kers) in that you do a bit here, move to another location do a bit more and so on. Generally there will be 4-6 layouts with a total of 25 targets with vastly different targets, obstacles and terrain on each layout. Targets can be coming off towers, bouncing along the ground, coming from behind over your head, straight at your, etc.

You don't need to own a shotgun, have a firearms license or have any firearms experience. If you have a license and/or a shotgun, great!

You DO need to have the ability to listen, take direction, conduct yourself in a safe manner and have fun.

The venue will be Brisbane Sporting Clays on Mount Petrie Road at Belmont - about 1km up the road from the Belmont SSAA Complex. When you turn in to Mount Petrie Road from Old Cleveland Road, the first club is Brisbane Gun Club with trap and skeet layouts, then there is SSAA then you go over a big hill, down a dip and as you come to the top of the next rise, the driveway is on your left.

In terms of costs, it depends on the size of the group. If 6 or less are interested, then I will just run the day myself and it will be about $50 per person. That is range fee, 2 rounds (a round is 25 targets), ammo and hire fees for one of two guns - that is $0 to me and I don't want any money. I enjoy introducing people to the sport and educating people that not all legitimate gun owners are latent psychopaths. Hell, I have even converted some Greens supporters!

If we do a group, we will have the assistance of one of the range officers, it a set 30 targets, guns and ammo for I think $40-45 per person if memory serves.

As for dates, that will be determined by the response and what works out for the majority of people. I am thinking mid to late November.

There is drinks, snacks and booze at the range, but you are not allowed alcohol till you are finished shooting for the day.

You will need fully enclosed shoes (sneakers are fine), eye protection (sunglasses, safety glasses or normal glasses will do) and if anyone can supply disposable ear plug for nothing, that will save everyone a couple of bucks. Industrial ear muffs are too big and will scratch the stock on the gun. A hat and sunscreen are also advisable.

Anyway, let me know if you're keen and I'll start making it happen.

Ben.
    Mate, depending on dates will be interested,

I should be able to supply ear plugs whether I attend or not just need to arrange pick up if I don't. Would be great to get the families involved as well.

Mark
    No such thing as a fat alcoholic, just fat piss pots...

Wooooo Hooooooooo!!!!!!

Good effort you faceless hero you.......

Really hope this gets off the ground, for those guys that don't/haven't shot I suggest you guys give this a go. Not sure I've ever met a guy that's gone ' Well that's pretty crappy, I wouldn't care if I ever did that again'.

Im the same as Mark......would be happy to help supply eyes and ears if need be.

Families are more than welcome to come along. Unfortunately, there is no BBQ facility there, but I am sure something could be arranged.

Thanks for the offers of eyes and ears as well - much appreciated.

Kids under 11 cannot legally shoot, but can come and watch. We have juniors as young as 12 and women that are 5' nothing and 40kg wringing wet that compete.

We would have to limit shooters to 15-20 for a groups. We could run two groups on a days if we have a lot of people wanting to give it a go.

If you had met me, you wouldn't recognise me now after my face lift. Well...that's what I tell people anyway - I actually had the left side of my face filleted like a fish and reconstructed as part of getting a serious skin cancer removed in June and then a second go in July when the pathology came back saying they didn't get it all, so I am looking forward to dropping the hammer again.

I am also happy to take people rifle or pistol shooting if putting holes in a sheet of paper floats your boat. This would be more of a 1-4 person group thing - contact me via PM for that.

Ben.

Damn!!!!

Just looked at my roster and it's Breaksea Spit next time im home then after that I won't be home till the weekend of Dec 14. Oh well, I'll grab a box of ear plugs if needed Ben and give them to one of these guys.
    Should be a great day for all that attend that's for sure!

Dates may get pushed in to December depending on people's (including mine) availability and what group bookings the club has.

If not, we can do a one-on-one session when you get back.

Ben.

I am definitely a starter for this. A mate introduced me to this sport many years ago, I did it a half dozen times and loved it. Have been wanting to get back into it again ever since but never quite knew how to go about it. I remember most of the etiquette I think. The "Club" I did this at was a course set up on some blokes farm....a couple of the blokes had missuses that wanted extra cash so we had a home grown stripper show after the shoot (Don't know why I dropped that in but it does stand out in my mind)

We have boxes of earplugs downstairs so I will provide them, glasses too.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers
    C

So I can bring my 16 year old son and he is allowed to shoot? He would love it. Provided it does not clash with Breaksea spit weekend then I should be right to join in X2.

Sounds like fun,can the targets look like cats ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    So I can bring my 16 year old son and he is allowed to shoot? He would love it. Provided it does not clash with Breaksea spit weekend then I should be right to join in X2.
    Yep...100% he can.

I suggest anyone bringing a teenage boy to get them to affix their manhood to their leg by some means to avoid embarrassment on the day - those of us that are ex-Army will know this as a 'combat fat'.

Ben.

great idea, always wanted to have a go again after a few shots at a clay range about 30 yrs ago, october no good for me but will keep an eye on this post if the date falls after that. Cheers for the effort to organise.

Count me in too, please.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I'll be in this, and see if my daughters want to come as well.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

I'm keen for this! I've always wanted to give it a go

Cheers Nic

I am in... just need a date to book it in !!!
    will see if I can get a few mates to come along, I am offering to cook the BBQ if arranged

Top work Ben, its great that your putting your self out to show just how safe and fun pop guns can be..

Cheers
    Brett