Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Leisure Freight & Import/New Boats Direct - The Final Chapter

Re: Leisure Freight & Import/New Boats Direct - The Final Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
    So give me your opinions everyone...

I paid 12500 for the trailer, customs docs are in LFAI name, and the lien is10k+. I pay the lien and goes through customs in a liquidated name, then the liquidators grab it. I may or may not get the trailer. If i do end up getting it, it would take months.

Order another trailer through a reputable import company.
    Buy australian for 23k
    Build myself

If i do get another trailer and best case, i also get the one i own at the moment, i could always sell it.

What do you think?

Hi Ric
    Dumb question - well many from me. The Maritime lien for 10000 on a 12500 trailer? More than $12500 now with costs of action.
    Just for interests sake what was the value she went bankrupt for? Interesting what she will list with the trustee .

I thought the lien would only be to cover the transport charges and assume they are not 10000 but then again? That aside I am unsure with that sort of lien if they have the ability to ( although in posession) to outright sell goods and there may well be another interest registered behind that lien? Administrator , customs? . If you could deal direct with the lien holder and if they can guarantee you clear title to your trailer I'd offer them a couple of grand - more than they will get trying to auction the trailer after costs and then you just have the issue of how the hell to get it through customs ?? So no deal until the path is clear What a nightmare.

By any chance do you have any documentation relating to a serial number on the trailer or such that shows your interest in the trailer and can you register a lien behind the maritime one and claim it directly as it is not a asset of LFAI thus avoiding liquidators involvement? If it wasn't on Fed land the other side of customs I know exactly what I would be doing

All assumes the trailer is actually up to the spec you ordered? Have you seen or inspected teh trailer and can you do so? Friend at docks or storage? If it isn't what you ordered you may not want it?

Not a good situation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Hi Ric
    Dumb question - well many from me. The Maritime lien for 10000 on a 12500 trailer? More than $12500 now with costs of action.
    Just for interests sake what was the value she went bankrupt for? Interesting what she will list with the trustee .

I thought the lien would only be to cover the transport charges and assume they are not 10000 but then again? That aside I am unsure with that sort of lien if they have the ability to ( although in posession) to outright sell goods and there may well be another interest registered behind that lien? Administrator , customs? . If you could deal direct with the lien holder and if they can guarantee you clear title to your trailer I'd offer them a couple of grand - more than they will get trying to auction the trailer after costs and then you just have the issue of how the hell to get it through customs ?? So no deal until the path is clear What a nightmare.

By any chance do you have any documentation relating to a serial number on the trailer or such that shows your interest in the trailer and can you register a lien behind the maritime one and claim it directly as it is not a asset of LFAI thus avoiding liquidators involvement? If it wasn't on Fed land the other side of customs I know exactly what I would be doing

All assumes the trailer is actually up to the spec you ordered? Have you seen or inspected teh trailer and can you do so? Friend at docks or storage? If it isn't what you ordered you may not want it?

Not a good situation at all.
    10k is round figures, it works out more because that figure is in Usd, then i have to pay duty and gst still.
    Have docs to prove ownership and have spoken to the 'lien people'.
    Very difficult to bring in as its all not in my name.
    Trailer has not gone through customs.

Interestingly though, another company who works closely with LFAI had their ships cleared no worries (same ship) - but i guess that happens when you pay your bills.

'I pay the lien and goes through customs in a liquidated name, then the liquidators grab it'

It sucks you don't get first bite at it.

For 10k ish it would be worth it if they could guarantee it over to your possession. 23k ish all up is doable compared to the price of getting another made. The risk of paying (another) 10k ish & have it end up in the hands of the liquidators to auction anyway off is probably too big of a gamble.. you'd out of pocket 23k ish all up,, ...and still no trailer.

23k to make another means 46k all up. Friggin expensive trailer !

Tough one.

It seems odd you don't have first claim on the goods, though I gather you've explored it all.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Hi Ric,

I might have missed something but did you ever sign anything to say this company has a lien over your trailer?

I cant see how a liquidator can take control of property they down own. Much like a liquidator cannot sell a piece of equipment that has a loan over it.

If you did sign something then I would imagine that puts you on the secured creditor list at least.

EDIT* Did you pay the importer the money for the trailer + shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusionmirage View Post
    Hi Ric,

I might have missed something but did you ever sign anything to say this company has a lien over your trailer?

I cant see how a liquidator can take control of property they down own. Much like a liquidator cannot sell a piece of equipment that has a loan over it.

If you did sign something then I would imagine that puts you on the secured creditor list at least.

EDIT* Did you pay the importer the money for the trailer + shipping?
    It's because the docs are in her name. They hold the cargo under the BOL name in which the debt is owed.

Paid in full for trailer, shipping, customs and GST!

And yes they will have trouble auctioning off the cargo as there are no clear titles.

Forgot to add, customs clear it in LFAI name and only their rep ( liquidators in thiscase) can pick it up.

If Di has been lying and trading while insolvent you may have some channels for redress against her personally rather than through the LFAI liquidators
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    If Di has been lying and trading while insolvent you may have some channels for redress against her personally rather than through the LFAI liquidators
    I could try but she has been bankrupted personally too. I would need to fight the trustees for some of the action.

I will keep everyone posted as it all comes to a close.

Problem is that the liquidators will need to pay out secured creditors first, if there is anything left after the transporter has been paid. And that's if there is anything left to pay the transporter, otherwise they will auction off the goods to recover their fees.
    What's left goes to liquidators, which goes usually to a bank debt first.

I can't see how you would ever see your trailer or money. Sadly, you would probably have to walk away.
    As for the person involved, she may not have been trading insolvent, and its hard to prove conclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Six.....
    yep...
    or seven?
    is that bigger than 5?
    knew i should have worked harder in school.

Seven star? Stupid name for a transport business..........

A THOUSAND star imports Muddy, how about that? How good a business would that be..

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    A THOUSAND star imports Muddy, how about that? How good a business would that be..
    Now you're just being an idiot!

So then ...... how come I've never meet you at an AUSFISH M&G? Sounds like you qualify ..
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Now you're just being an idiot!

So then ...... how come I've never meet you at an AUSFISH M&G? Sounds like you qualify ..
    youv'e never met me... do i qualify
    (what are we qualifying for ive only read the last 4 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    youv'e never met me... do i qualify
    (what are we qualifying for ive only read the last 4 posts
    Yeah, you qualify!

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Yeah, you qualify!
    Over qualified?
    Jim