Thread: Elliott Heads yabbies

Question Elliott Heads yabbies

Hi guys,

Heading up to Elliott Heads for the long weekend - a friend has a holiday house I can use for free.

I have searched the forum and there are mostly negative views on the fishing there. The sand flies are supposed to be prolific though.

Apparently there are yabby banks there - can anyone give me a more specific location?

I will be fishing solely landbased, so any tips will be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance...

Been.

Re: Elliott Heads yabbies

Although I do not pump or use yabbies myself I do see plenty of people pumping them on the northern side of the river about midway between Elliot Heads where a small creek enters the river and Riverview up close to the mangrove stand. This is easily accessible from Elliot heads land based simply by walking from the car park along the northern side at low tide. There have been a few Whiting and Flathead taken on many of the shallow banks from low tide to about half way up the making tide. Where the creek enters at the midway point there are some nice banks to try. Do not worry about the sand fly's; it has been so windy here they have trouble getting airborne. Should you be lucky and strike a windless day take plenty of bushman or similar with you.
    Regards to all Dick

If you don't get any yabbies, take some small soft plastics...... throw them around that area.
    And to maximize your chances on this trip, fist early, dawn and dusk..... and even throw a few , like small lasers as there has been some big trevalley cruising around.....

have a good holiday
    randell

There are good yabby banks up the river past the shacks on the North bank if you happen to get use of a boat.You can get to this area by car as I have seen cars parked on the bank at camp sites.Also there is a small creek East of the boat ramp,yabbies on the East side of the creek inlet.Good luck.

Thanks heaps for the tips guys.

Just to confirm, are these the spots you are referring to for yabbies?

Looks like there are miles of good banks that are accessible via foot to walk along for hours throwing plastics.

Ben.

You have 2 spots marked; the larger of the 2 marks (LHS) near Riverview is mostly broken rubble rather than sand. The opposite side of that creek is where I was referring too and is a combination of sand and in places firm packed mud (plenty of yabbie holes there). The smaller mark close to Elliot Heads I do not think will produce much but it is always worth a look.
    Regards to all Dick

Any of you guys keen to hook up for a fish over the weekend while I'm up there?

Early/Late starts and finishes don't bother me.

Ben.

The weather looks good for the long weekend on the weather modelling I use so it should be great no matter what you decide to do or where you fish. Unfortunately both my wife and I will be working long hours over the long week end but thanks for the offer. We walked along the Elliot today at low tide simply because it was nice to do so no fishing involved and noticed a heap of small Whiting in the shallows in front of where I told you to pump yabbies.
    Regards to all Dick

PS The weather modelling site I use http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/wi.../elliott-heads There is a detailed 48 hour forecast here which should be updated all the time http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/wi...ailed-forecast
    Regards to all Dick

That map you have circled, right above the words Elliott river is the bank you want to go to. I would come for a fish, but I don't live there anymore.