Thread: downrigger weight size

downrigger weight size

hi all .just bought a couple of mag 10 electrics from the states and would like to find out the best weight size for offshore work with a good size livey or x/rap 30?
    and weight shape? im thinking 10lb ball would track straighter than a fish shaped weight.
    being equal all around the ball surface.
    so if anyone have used differant sizes and shapes could you share .
    thanks in advance Gaz.

Re: downrigger weight size

Yep I use a 10 lb ball type and it works fine off my electric Cannon. I run it at 5 metres and as deep as 20 metres no matter what you use you will get some blowback (the ball dragging back in the water) if you speed up. There is a scale made up that i've seen that shows you how far each weight will blowback in varying depths.

What is blowback?

Simply stated, blowback is what happens to the downrigger weight when you pull it through the water behind your boat. As your speed increases, so does the horizontal distance between the weight and your downrigger. The faster you go, the farther the weight is behind you. The farther the weight is behind you, the shallower the weight is.

For example, if you are trolling @ 4 MPH with an 8 pound weight and you have 100’ of cable in the water; the downrigger ball is actually at a depth of 80’. (Cannon website)
    Here is a link with charts of what different weights will do
    http://www.fishingvancouverisland.or...-drag-t27.html

Cheers!
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Odes is on the money. Grab an 8 or 10lb ball to start with. Anything heavier is too hard to handle
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Gaz,

10lb and I have replaced my wire with 200lb Platypus braid from Wellsys to get rid of the hum and it gives a more direct angle.

Thanks for all the advise .the 10lb seems to be the size to start with.im setting these up in the next couple of weeks after waiting for the right bases to get here.also I will leave the wire on to start as im told the short stop needs a current running to the wire to make them stop at waterlevel.
    but if the hum is too much I will change to braid like many do.thanks again gaz
    and if anyone is an auto elec and wants some work wireing these up let me know gaz.