Thread: What is this noise Landcruiser

What is this noise Landcruiser

This noise started a few days back after washing me cruiser down, haven't done sand or beach for ages. Is it a shocky or old dirt manage to get in spring seats. It stuffs me what it is, currently annoying the shite out of me. You need good speakers to hear it.. The camera is placed on the floor near the right wheel arch. All windows are up so you can hear what Im hearing. Any help would be great.

Cheers Clint..

Re: What is this noise Landcruiser

can i suggest (to assist you) that you list the times in the video the noise is occuring, just so we can listen out for it rather than just enjoying the lovely burble of the V8.

At 38sec to 45 sec reversing out the drive -- 58sec to 106sec -- 141sec to 156sec -- 220sec to 230sec -- 240sec -- 250sec to 305sec -- 330sec to 350sec -- 438sec to 453sec back in the driveway. Its that crunchy creaky clunky noise. Maybe sway bar, top shocky rubbers worn. You can hear when Im under breaking and the noises turn up. Good idea to Pixie AU thanks for that.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

If you think it's the top shock mounts (or spring seats) you could try dousing the rubbers with wd40 or similar and see if it stops it or changes the noise. I've used this a few times to track down hard to find but really irritating noises. Could even be the internals of the shock, but to me it sounds like a dry joint or bushing.

That V8 has a great sound - be great to tow with apart from cost of petrol lol

Good luck with it, cheers Ryan

I'm thinking 2 new shocks for the rear, this morning before I drove it, I jumped up and down on the rear bar and made a reasonable shocky noise. I tried it again just before and it creaks. I helped someone out yesterday loading me wagon up and the weight must of found a weak point. Its got Pedders Shock Trak Ryder 4wd series in it now, anyone use a better brand that stands up to towing and has a bit of strength.

Shackle rubber bushes.

05 100 series IFS set up should have gave those details first up, no leafs in the back for rear shackles bushes.

Control arm/stabilser bar bushes?

Will start with 4 new shockies and go from their, after that its every bush ripped out and fresh set back in. Its all getting rebuilt bit by bit over the next year so I take this a s a sign to get started now.

I think I might of found another cause of that creaking. It comes from the right rear the original noise. I have the arb rear bar and the bar that comes down the side of the 4wd with that black rubber stuff on top of the bar is sitting really close to the rear panel and has rub marks. When I washed it Friday I sprayed the tyre and rims with tyre foam and for some reason never done it before sprayed the black rubber trim to pre clean it before wash. Im going to take the rubber trim off and trim it back and see if that fixes that creaking noise. Its never made this noise before this until I sprayed it with tyre foam. The fun of owning sqeaky toys..

DSCF3133.jpg

Here is the guilty party making all that noise, when I sprayed it with tyre foam to pre clean the rear bars rubber trim before washing it must of dislodged some fine dirt and cleaned it away and it was than direct rubber on metal contact. I sprayed it with some oil this morning and took it for a run and not a sqeak crunch noise to be heard. But after inspecting the areas from the advice given here I will be replacing the entire back ends bushes and a 4 new shockies alround for good measure.
    Thanks for all your advice fellas.

Appreciate your time..

Cheers Clint.

Be buggered eh. It's the small things in life that affect you the most. Good find but.

Cheers
    Chris