Thread: Spotties Northern Bay

Spotties Northern Bay

Hi all
    Gearing up for a full on assault on macks in the northen bay and off Bribie this season.
    My last fish before the rain back in Feb, saw some beauties, a 4.5kg Schoolie, 4.5kg Spottie and two smaller schoolies. I have some great country to fish. So, my questions.
    Q1
    I fish the turns of the tide on the bottom and mid water with pillies.
    I got bitten off as many times as I landed fish, as I used no trace, just 20lb fluro.
    Do you use a steel trace or not? Ive been told they wont bite with one???? When I fished NQ for these fish a short steel trace was never a problem. What do you use?
    Q2
    How is the best way to target Macks in the bay when the tide is running in the channels? Troll, and if so what should I troll?

I have used slugs a lot on beacons, M8 etc with some success, but want to fish more open water away from the yellow raincoat brigades.
    Any answers appreciated.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Re: Spotties Northern Bay

troll paravaines and 3 inch barra spoons

Hi Rosco, can you troll them with a downrigger? I have one. And can you troll them with arod or do yu have to use a rigged handline?
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Generally spottys will school up and birds will show you where they are and schoolies will be hanging around the beacons. Thats my experience anyway....

From my experience Spotties are more likely to be chasing bait and Schoolies tend to be closer to the bottom near dropoffs or structure such as beacons. Trolling a spoon behind a paravane is very effective. You can do the same behind a downrigger but you need to run it slower due to blowback. I do better slow trolling a livey on the downrigger.
    My favourite technique is chasing Macks with slugs. Vertical spinning the beacons for schoolies and casting to working fish in the case of Spotties. It doesn't get much better than that for a day on the water
    Wire is a trade off. I use it on liveys but not on my slugs
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

flatzie,i jut use rod and reels mate....I get all my macks on ledges and drop offs... I don't use wire at all I mainly use 50lb mono as leader...don't loose too many to bite offs

Have to try and improve my consistency this year, will have to try the paravane technique that Rosco suggested.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    Have to try and improve my consistency this year, will have to try the paravane technique that Rosco suggested.
    Doesn't work. All you catch is grinners

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Doesn't work. All you catch is grinners
    LOL, That's ok, I will just have to relocate every grinner I catch to southern bay where you fellas fish.
    So at the end of the day, I'm still doing something constructive.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I heard they are firing at a certain beacon

Hey Flatzie,

My experience where you intend to fish seems to be that they will take a trolled pillie not too far down. Most of the schoolies are down deeper in your area and we often get them on the bottom whilst at anchor.

I have lost a lot of mackeral on a set floater, but not as many trolling. I think it is because they can swallow a floated bait, but may attack a trolled pillie from behind there fore taking the last two or three hooks. I just use a rod and reel and if trolling two dark swivels to prevent any line twist.

I generally troll around in a circular manner and only use 10 kg. line except the last meter say 15 kg. to the hooks.

As someone said ledges, rough bottom, you know where I mean.

Bait, Pillies. Gar, Winter Whiting whole or filleted, even small Mullet, Yellow tail pike, and best of all small legal tailor. For the big Barries.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Thanks for the replies, all helps in the fine tuning!
    Cheers
    Flatzie