Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing. Can kids have 4 pots as well ?

Re: Crabbing. Can kids have 4 pots as well ?

Well you all can do whatever you want. You have seen what daff have to say, so argue the point with fisheries when you get done

I taught my 3 month old to work the pots, so surely a 6 month old can do it....

This now explains why so many pots are put in stupid spots in channels....

its those bloody 3mth olds and their selfish thinking.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

ben I would happily argue the point with the fisheries and further if I had too..i put it to you this way since you seem to think this is wrong...at what age is it when you become a person....me personally I think when you are born you become a living person...I must be wrong...don't there rules and regulations state 4 pots per person....I really cannot see how they could win in a court of law...they would have to prove that the 6 month old or whatever age isn't a person...does it state they have to know how to service the pot. no..I still havnt found anything that says that.. and mind you this does not affect me as all my people are teenages or older...

Crab pots to an anthropology thesis.......

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I suggest a few of you should contact fisheries to seek clarification as I did. The response from them is the person must be old enough to use the apparatus. The same interpretation applies to the number of lines you have and bag limit allocations
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

And where in the legislation did they base this advice on?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I don't know what's right or wrong here, but I do know life is too short to be tangling with the bureaucracy.

If they are wrong about the law it doesn't stop them writing a ticket, and then the-burden-of-grief is on you. Just saying....

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Nowhere in that legislation does it say that they have to be capable of doing everything themselves.

Does that mean if you only have 1 hand that you arent allowed to crab? Sounds like a legal battle they cant possibly win....

2 blokes in a tinny, 8 pots. Going by some here the deckie can get done for tampering with pots cause ya never see the driver swap possies.

Chances of seein fisheries are slim anyway, roll ya dice take ya chances if ya ever have a new born on a boat.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Anyway, now that the answer is still unclear.
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input.
    I put my 8 pots out this evening.
    I took my 13 year old out so I am in the clear. Fingers crossed.

The biggest problem with fisheries is the inconsistency that you get depending on whom you talk to.
    You can ring them 3 times and talk to 3 different people and you can often get 3 different answers.
    A bunch of us have had discussions with them over other issues of photographing regulated fish caught out of season and in closed waters and we all got different answers.
    Same went for targeting sharks over 1.5m in length,we all asked fisheries can we target them and we all got very different answers back.
    At the end of the day,what we read in the glossy pamphlets and on the fisheries website is just a basic laymans terms for the law.
    The actual written laws are very in-depth and complicated and they are the ones you will face by their lawyers if and when you go to court.
    If anyone wants to read the actual laws download the Fisheries Regulations Acts,there is 2 documents that need to be read together to get a full understanding of what you can or cannot do.
    Those 2 documents cover everything that you need to know and will answer many of these questions that you see pop up from time to time.

I've been out with my daughter when she was 7 or 8 pulling pots for mud crabs. We had a cop on a jet ski come up ask how many pots we had and where are they. I said we had 7 for the 2 of us and pointed to where they were. He was happy enough and went on his way.
    Did I let my daughter pull the pots and handle the mud crabs? no way! Life or death she may have worked it out though, but who knows. But some guys I take crabbing that are fully functional don't want to touch muddies either. They pull the pot for me and then chuck it down my end of the boat if there's anything in it. So how do you determine who can work a pot?

Well after putting the 8 pots out near Redland Bay over last night and checked twice , today we know only own 6 new pots and caught 65 female or undersized males. We kept our pots 100-150m away from a pro's pots and I have a good suspicion he gave me all his rubbish and I may have lost my keepers. I normally get 1 keeper out of 10 throwbacks so it is very sus. The arvo check had so many small males. That puts a whole new meaning to shared farming. I have never touched anyone elses pots and I would expect someone earning a living from crabbing would do the same. My 13 year old who doesn't like eating muddies was fuming because he also could see what was going on. getting him up at 5 am to check them this morning didn't help.
    In total I spent $30 on bait (chicken and whole mullet) about $15 bucks on fuel, about $40 on lost pots and in total I have 1 very unlucky sandcrab to eat. I think I am giving up on chasing muddies and going to chase sandies and flick plastics within eye sight.