Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing. Can kids have 4 pots as well ?

Re: Crabbing. Can kids have 4 pots as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    typical of Gov Departments, nothing is easy to understand, without a couple of Barristers and a court room, who knows for sure if a baby qualifies to have traps?
    The law is very simple and easy to understand.
    No age limit on the gear but the child must be capable of setting and pulling the gear on their own.
    What makes the law easy to understand is the fact it is illegal to set,interfere or pull any fishing apparatus which DOES NOT belong to you when in the water (your name on the tags).
    That includes any gear set in a childs name with that childs details on the tags and floats even though you may technically own the traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Benben86 View Post
    Yeah it says,
    "Note: The age limit for the recreational USE OF crab apparatus has been removed."
    A baby can not USE a crab pot.
    Think the clue may be in the actually wording....

1: USE.....ie yoose
    2: USE.....ie: yooze

SO....if you read it in those terms....YOOUSE of.....then there is no age limit for the yoose of a crabpot....whether in fact they can YOOZE it themselves seems to have gone by the wayside.

Jus the way I sees it....what do u guys think

Cheers, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    Think the clue may be in the actually wording....

1: USE.....ie yoose
    2: USE.....ie: yooze

SO....if you read it in those terms....YOOUSE of.....then there is no age limit for the yoose of a crabpot....whether in fact they can YOOZE it themselves seems to have gone by the wayside.

Jus the way I sees it....what do u guys think

Cheers, Ray.
    Have you got some work to do???

Been & Done ....playtime now

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    The law is very simple and easy to understand.
    No age limit on the gear but the child must be capable of setting and pulling the gear on their own..
    So then, that part is laid out plain and simple? I sure don't se it on the attached law change that was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    So then, that part is laid out plain and simple? I sure don't se it on the attached law change that was posted.
    Fisheries law clearly states that every fisher must have their own name and address details on their legal limit of 4 traps.
    It also states that you cannot touch or tamper with fishing aparatus that belongs to any other person or business therefore that includes any traps that you may sneakily uses under a childs name so any gear in the name of a child must be pulled only by that child.
    It then becomes pretty obvious if the child is too small to pull crab pots.

I think you are really not phrasing the question right and if you did so then the answer would be self evident.

Let me help here:-

"Should I endorse my children getting the crabs?"
    Cheers

Trev

how many pots does one need anyway, i assume if you had a 6 month old in the boat that there would be yourself and partner to look after your 6 month old when you are droping baiting and pulling pots, so 8 pots already, do you need another 4 or more? or just some lessons in crabbing?

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Fisheries law clearly states that every fisher must have their own name and address details on their legal limit of 4 traps.
    It also states that you cannot touch or tamper with fishing aparatus that belongs to any other person or business therefore that includes any traps that you may sneakily uses under a childs name so any gear in the name of a child must be pulled only by that child.
    It then becomes pretty obvious if the child is too small to pull crab pots.
    actually I have asked fisheries this question, you may have 8 pots in your name, as long as 2 people on board at the time you are using 8 pots, in other words, you may take a relative/friend out crabbing without changing names on 4 of the pots

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    actually I have asked fisheries this question, you may have 8 pots in your name, as long as 2 people on board at the time you are using 8 pots, in other words, you may take a relative/friend out crabbing without changing names on 4 of the pots
    I have read the same thing somewhere

so... a dozen responses, and a lot of different interpretations, "you can", "you can't", "I read somewhere", "I have asked fisheries" I still maintain you need to read any rules a dozen times to try to fully understand what could be CLEARLY stated in a few simple words. Laws should be yes or no!

robsue is right you are allowed as many pots as you like in your name. I also rang fisheries about this. Ben

I checked this out last year and reported it. You can only count the child if they are old enough to operate (use) the pot. There is no set age but you would be pushing it to be counting your toddler. The name info is to identify the pots ownership. As long as the owner is on board he can allocate pots to others onboard for their use
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

not sure bout you fellas but a 6 month old baby is a person isn't it..all be it that it cannot do bugger all but it still is a person,it does not say anywhere about being able to service the pot..another instant would be taking a 100 yr old out crabbin doubt they would be able to service a pot either neither would a handicapped person...so unless I am wrong a baby is still a person and recon you would win in court on this matter...I personally would worry bout taking 4 pots for a baby/toddler but I do ok on getting a feed of crabs...each to there own its just my opinion

I agree with rosco.

1 person = 4 pots

I bet half the crabbers on ausfish will not touch a live mud crab.