Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of bait fish

Size of bait fish

This is probably a stupid question, but I see people from time to time catching small mullet and whiting etc and apparently taking them home to freeze for bait.

Obviously, if you take small fish for bait, and they are undersized, if fisheries catch up with you, they're going to fine you, aren't they? Am I missing something here?

Reason I'm asking is that these same people will measure everything they catch on a line, and throw undersized stuff back.

Re: Size of bait fish

they're going to fine you, aren't they?...........yes they will

Am I missing something here?................. no!

Reason I'm asking is that these same people will measure everything they catch on a line, and throw undersized stuff back........................ which is what your supposed to do...

I don't know about the whiting but mullet I catch in the cast net I keep for bait along with herring and ..............

So...just WHAT is classified as LIVE bait fish may I ask

This question is open ended for a reason....I have long wondered about just WHICH species are included as "livies".

Not highjacking here Peter, maybe just adding to the info hopefully...

Thanks, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    So...just WHAT is classified as LIVE bait fish may I ask

This question is open ended for a reason....I have long wondered about just WHICH species are included as "livies".

Not highjacking here Peter, maybe just adding to the info hopefully...

Thanks, Ray.
    That question makes absolutely no sense at all!

Livies are fish that are still ALIVE. Whatever species they are you still have to abide by the size and bag limits....

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    That question makes absolutely no sense at all!

Livies are fish that are still ALIVE. Whatever species they are you still have to abide by the size and bag limits....
    Yeah, thanks for the help mate...not

Maybe you need it made a little "clearer" to you CM

There are fish that are caught on "livies"...yes such as Cobia, Mackeral etc

So...seeing as though you know so much about this subject, would you please enlighten me as to just WHAT constitutes these livies......you know....species, size limits maybe & legal QUANTITIES of said livies for fishing

Your experienced input would be very welcome here

Thanks, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post

So...seeing as though you know so much about this subject, would you please enlighten me as to just WHAT constitutes these livies......
    Ok, ill try to say it a little bit slower for you.

LIVIES consist of fish that are ALIVE. Bag limit and size limit depend on what species they are....

"So...seeing as though you know so much about this subject, would you please enlighten me as to just WHAT constitutes these livies......you know....species, size limits maybe & legal QUANTITIES of said livies for fishing"

ermmmmm .......

"Ok, ill try to say it a little bit slower for you.
    LIVIES consist of fish that are ALIVE. Bag limit and size limit depend on what species they are...."

in bold, maybe something you missed

As a novice in this area, I would be VERY impressed with some actual factual info....

If you are just going to continue to play games, then I will refrain from repying to you from now on.....

Maybe someone who can actually HELP here would be better served

Ok, if your using snapper for livies you are allowed 4 with a minimum size of 35cm. Winter whiting you are allowed 50 with no size limit. Get the drift??????

winter whiting are ok to to keep as live bait in QLD any size. Some mullet are also ok . Others like tailor and gar have legal sizes. pretty sure slimies and yakkas and herring have no limits ether. Just my understanding but not definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Ok, if your using snapper for livies you are allowed 4 with a minimum size of 35cm. Winter whiting you are allowed 50 with no size limit. Get the drift??????
    Now now cobiaman, no need to get aggressive..
    I like your definition. A livey is a fish that is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I thought it was common sense but apparently not?

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    How bloody clear is that. Maybe also. Include " a fish that is moving " or a fish that is not dead.

Common live bait used offshore: live or dead, doesn't matter, same rules apply.

Slimies = no size or bag limit.

Yakkas = no size, but bag limit of 20 of all such species

Whiptails = no size or bag limit to my knowledge

Hardiheads = no size or bag limits

Tailor, gar, whiting, you all know the size and bag limits of these. As per regs.

Undersized fish must be returned unharmed promptly. So you cant keep undersized fish in your LBT.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

So for sardines that we used to catch up in Darwin what is the limit. Do you get sardines down here in Brissy? They were good for catching bigger fish.

Things like poddy mullet and herring what is the possion / bag limit in qld for it only askin cuz seen a guy the other day with his cast net getting crap loads