Thread: New moon brings fishing closures

New moon brings fishing closures

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

27 September 2013
    New moon brings fishing closures

Coral reef fin fish will be off limits from midnight this Tuesday 1 October, as part of the first of two annual closures that protect these fish during spawning season.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol acting district manager Geoff Fergusson said the closures were vital to protect fish at an important time in their life cycle.

“Closed seasons are vital to allow stocks to replenish to ensure there are healthy fish stores for current and future generations of Queensland fishers.

"After an extensive scientific review, two five-day closures each year for five years were announced in October 2009 to provide certainty and long-term planning for fishers," he said.

“This year, the first closure will run from midnight 1 October to midnight 6 October and the second from midnight 30 October to midnight 4 November.

Mr Fergusson said the dates for the closures changed each year depending on the new moon phases.

"The closures coincide with the new moon when key coral reef fish species aggregate to spawn,” he said.

"October and November have been found to be months of high effectiveness for closures to protect coral reef fin fish, particularly the key target species.

"Tropical snapper and other coral reef fin fish may be more susceptible to concentrated fishing when spawning and these closures help ensure the sustainability of the fishery.

"Fishers need to remember that they should not take and possess coral reef fin fish species during the closure period.

“Coral reef fin fish include cods and groupers, emperors, parrotfishes, sweetlips, wrasses, coral trout, fusiliers, surgeonfishes, tropical snappers and seaperches.

“A reef fish web guide is available online at www.fisheries.qld.gov.au to help fishers identify fish listed as coral reef fin fish.

Mr Fergusson said the Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol will be conducting regular patrols during the school holidays to remind fishers of the closures.

“Recreational fishers caught doing the wrong thing during the coral reef fin fish closure risk an on-the-spot fine of $440 and a maximum penalty of $110,000.”

The closures are in place from the northern tip of Cape York to Bundaberg in the south (the southern boundary is at latitude 24º50'S).

The eastern boundary of the closure is the same as the eastern boundary of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Media: Jodana Anglesey 3087 8601

Re: New moon brings fishing closures

Why do some Charter Boat operators receive exemptions from these 'vital' closures? Their customers are recreational fishermen like the rest of us.

Hi, charter operators can apply for a General Fisheries Permit to operate during the coral reef fin fish closure period, however there is a fee, specific criteria must be met, and there is a cap of 30 permit exemptions per year to be issued. The charter exemptions were introduced in 2009 to minimise the economic impacts of the closures.

As far as I can tell and would needed to be confirmed.

Recreational Fishers that fish from their own vessel are not allowed to take CRFF during the Closure Period.

Commercial Fishers are not allowed to take CRFF during the Closure Period.

Charter vessels are allowed, via a fee for a permit, to take CRFF during the Closure Period. This is done to " minimise the economic impact ". ( some would read that as “ pay a fee to break the rules ? )

To me, there would be a far greater impact on Commercial Fishers during the Closure Period, than Charter ?

Further, has a measured economic impact been assessed for business's that would otherwise be facilitating services and product to Recreational Fishers from coastal ports / harbours / towns that would be the launching points for Recreational Fishers, during the Closure Period ? Certainly the Closures impact on Recreational Fishers and their intended destinations and trips, so there is no doubt a flow on effect would be felt by the business's that would facilitate these Fishers.

Similar could be asked about the economic impact on business's that supply services and product to Commercial Fishers, during the Closure Period.

IMO only, it doesn't sit well with any Rec or Pro fisher, that a Closure be placed on CRFF ... and I quote " Closed seasons (regulated waters) prevent people from fishing at certain times of the year to protect species at vulnerable times in their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons. “.

The above statement is taken from the DAFF website for Rules and Regulations for Recreational Fishing. No where does it say or intimate that, “ unless you pay a fee, you can disregard this rule / regulation “.

FQ states that the permit is limited and has specific criteria, well maybe those permits, subject to criteria should be made available publicly to ANY Recreational Fisher that wants to fish during a Closure, but not on a Charter ? The economic impact statement doesn't wash with me in this case. That is unless there has been the impact assessment done for business's that would be impacted during the closures by losing income via recreational fishers not fishing during that period from that specific launching point.

Of course the Charter industry will have fully booked vessels during the Closures as they know Recreational Fishers will not be out there, Commercial Fishers will not be out there , and...... it is PRIME time to target CRFF, due to them congregating for said spawning, which by all accounts and determined by FQ that...Closed seasons (regulated waters) prevent people from fishing at certain times of the year to protect species at vulnerable times in their life cycle, such as during spawning seasons. “. I would like to highlight the 5th and 6th word of that statement. PREVENT PEOPLE.

Further, what is the fee for this permit and where do those funds go ? Do they go to CRFF research, policing of the closures, wild stocking of CRFF or simply into “ General Revenue “ ?

As far as I am aware, the oceans and seas that border our coastline belong to all Australians and if rules and regulations are put in place to protect the habitat, environment and fish species, then ALL of us should fall under those restrictions. While the vast majority of Recreational Fishers abide by the rules and regulations, is it any wonder that some will run the gauntlet of authority when certain parties can buy their way around the rules , with the blessing of the very authority that put in place those rules.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

If this is truly a good idea, then surely it should apply to all.

Assuming its good science, then I would bet London to a brick that the experts that proposed this didn't say "unless, of course, they are a special interest group with dollars to spend".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same debarckle as when charters got permits to take undersized amberjack and everybody else got screwed same bullshit different day it's not about protecting stocks it's about money in the pocket and one eyed bias to the charter fishery, it seems different rules apply to them for size limits and closures if fisheries get paid enough.
    As far as economic impacts as was said earlier if that was the case charters would be the last ones to qualify seeing as they get paid before they leave the docks they have the most profitable of commercial enterprises they don't even need to catch fish to get paid let alone cover costs.

Are you still allowed to catch and release the fish during this time? Or not permitted to fish for them as all?
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

So if I pay for a charter I can fish it. But I can't go in my own boat? Sounds a bit silly it's only a few days trawlers have times they can't operate in closures?

Quote Originally Posted by MEG-A-BITE View Post
    Are you still allowed to catch and release the fish during this time? Or not permitted to fish for them as all?
    No you are not even allowed to catch and release them
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Are any coral fin fish closures planned for 2014? This years first closure falls over the Queensland School Holiday break which has impacted a lot of mums and dads and family fishers. I am keen to know about 2014 so I can plan my holidays accordingly.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Just wondering if i see anything illegal do i receive a "Reward" Mr Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Blue View Post
    Are any coral fin fish closures planned for 2014? This years first closure falls over the Queensland School Holiday break which has impacted a lot of mums and dads and family fishers. I am keen to know about 2014 so I can plan my holidays accordingly.

Here is the page it is published on. Not yet done for 2014.

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...s-tidal-waters

It is easy to work it out, but would be better to ask FQ.

Contact them on 13 25 23

cheers LP

The closures take place over the New Moon in October and November of each year. As far as I am aware.

They start 5 days prior to the New Moon and finish 1 day after. Midnight to midnight.

My guess, not gospel !!!!! is that in 2014, the first CRFF closure will be from Midnight October 19th until Midnight October 24th.

Qld school holidays in 2014 will be from Saturday 20th September until Monday 6th October.

That all depends on whether they do it over the New Moon or the Full Moon. If it is the Full Moon next year, that will be in the school holiday period.

Best to call them.

cheers

Sorry to bring up an old post but can someone please tell me when the CRFF closures first started?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

No exactly too sure. I am thinking over 10 years ago. ?

Cheers