Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ban nets and ban pros .

Re: Ban nets and ban pros .

I think take there licence and give minimal compensation ,if there is no work in my industry I don't get compensated so bugger the pros and for that matter get them out of places like the pine and brissy river it's a bloody disgrace that they can rape these areas and yet return nothing of any worth to the inviroment .....Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Its a funny thing. All around Australia State a Federal governments are spending a fortune regulating fisheries and buying back commercial fishing effort yet our fisheries export dollars be growing over time. It doesn't make sense
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

"fish for the future" should apply to everyone not just pros
    without pros how would joe average get a feed of fish?
    I shake my head when I read posts from guys who go out day after day and brag about bagging out on whiting or whatever each day and giving away fish to friends and neighbours, that is just plain hypocritical
    if you are doing that it is the same as blacking your catch and probably does as much damage to fish stocks as an over zealous pro
    get rid of the irresponsible pros and amateurs
    then maybe we would have a sustainable fishery
    IFISHCQ2

Sorry that you misread my post. I stated that there are those pros who do the right thing, by adhering to their quotas and treat their industry in a professional and conservational manner, and I have no qualms about them, but there are sharks out there who abuse their privilege and harvest anything and everything - by fair means or foul. These are the ones who need their licences revoked. It happens in every industry - it's just that this one is dear to our hearts.
    By all means - bring the book to bear on unscrupulous rec' fishos as well - I can also remember back 20 years when some unnamed 'recreational fishos' here in Melbourne only worked for 9 months of the year - and spent the other 3 months chasing, catching and selling their snapper to all who anted up. Luckily, Fisheries caught up with them and they paid dearly for their sins. Boats, cars, tackle - all were purchased by illegal sales of snapper - and forfeited when caught!
    My objection to paying off pros who commit these sins is justified, but too many bleeding heart, politically-correct humanitarians feel that they need to be suitably compensated. For abusing the system and pillaging a finite resource? I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I think take there licence and give minimal compensation ,if there is no work in my industry I don't get compensated so bugger the pros and for that matter get them out of places like the pine and brissy river it's a bloody disgrace that they can rape these areas and yet return nothing of any worth to the inviroment .....Matt
    Matt ,
    I am fairly certain that Henry is the only trawler with a license to work on the Pine ( Prawns) . He has a fair few restrictions on where he can operate too ( eg only upriver from the Bruce Bridges ). Don't know the bloke , he just supplies my local tackle shop .
    Then again , I maybe wrong .
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Matt ,
    I am fairly certain that Henry is the only trawler with a license to work on the Pine ( Prawns) . He has a fair few restrictions on where he can operate too ( eg only upriver from the Bruce Bridges ). Don't know the bloke , he just supplies my local tackle shop .
    Then again , I maybe wrong .
    Shawn
    I don't know him or how many there are mate but watching them rape the area with those nets in that small estuary just shouldn't be on in my opinion and it might be time to park his trawler up and retire and the licence revoked . If they can stop the pros in the bribe passage then the pine being not much more than a drain should also have pros banned as well ,I have watched him work that stretch of the river and it's not just prawns that he takes ...Matt

Methinks that prawn nets catch a lot more than just prawns - and I'm sure that there are pros who, having a bad day netting their allowed species, would not be adverse to selling a substantial bycatch to offset their costs? I'm sure that this doesn't apply to all of them, but the ones discussed in this forum, who are destroying the ecology of our estuaries, would certainly be tempted!

Hi guys, one thing that a lot of people are unaware of is that a lot of Pro fishermen don't actually own a license so therefore don't have one to sell back.

They lease their licenses, this is why buying back licenses doesn't work that well, we need more areas to be declared net free to make a difference, cheers wayne

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    Hi guys, one thing that a lot of people are unaware of is that a lot of Pro fishermen don't actually own a license so therefore don't have one to sell back.

They lease their licenses, this is why buying back licenses doesn't work that well, we need more areas to be declared net free to make a difference, cheers wayne
    I agree Wayne. Its time to make some recreational fishing havens. The Broadwater to Pin would be a great start followed by sat Cooloola Beach and Tin Can Bay to Ungowa. A few major rivers such as the Noosa, Boyne and Fitzroy would be great for tourism
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Re the Mum and Dad bit : When I was doing the Dad thing #long time ago now),

Continued.... If I didn't catch it, the only fish we ate was imported. Local was too expensive. Meat was cheaper. It doesn't make a lot of sense (and yes, I understand the supposed economics of it. I was talking about common sense).

Point well made, Wayne. So many lease their licences from older, retired pros and so don't have the huge capital outlay. However, I'm a little worried that if we make more areas net-free, will that not just intensify areas in which netting is allowed? Ultimately, condensing efforts into smaller areas will see a faster degradation of species, and a higher incidence of bycatch marketing. Although, long term, the situation would force out the 'shamateur' pros, whose only concern is for the short term, as the return would not be justified, and the repopulation of depleted species could start.
    The real problem, however, is the collective voice of the pros in the pollies' ears - and the idiotic greens. So until we as rec' fishos become a cohesive front, and are joined by joe average and his missus, (who just want to be able to buy fresh fish whenever they desire, and don't yet realise the rape and pillage that's going on), we don't stand a chance of effecting change.
    I just don't and can't trust the self-serving pollies to do what's right - unless there's a pay rise or re-election linked to it! Too many times in the past I've watched the amount of broken promises rack up. Remember the 'no child will live in poverty' and 'under my government there will be no carbon tax' platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I don't know him or how many there are mate but watching them rape the area with those nets in that small estuary just shouldn't be on in my opinion and it might be time to park his trawler up and retire and the licence revoked . If they can stop the pros in the bribe passage then the pine being not much more than a drain should also have pros banned as well ,I have watched him work that stretch of the river and it's not just prawns that he takes ...Matt
    I did say I may be wrong . Not passing an opinion on if there should be netting there in the first place ,( personally I do not think there should be ).Another aspect that must be touched on here , is the attitude from some rec's . When the prawns are running ,you see the same blokes day after day . Not saying they are taking more than their bag , however how many prawns can you use?
    Shawn

Absolutely right Shawn some rec fishers need to be bailed up for what they take ,when the prawns are running you see blokes out there day after day and if you watch for a while you see some come in and drop of there catch and out they go again . It's the same as some of the undersized fish that are taken and not just by particular ethnic groups but fisheries can only be in so-many places at once I guess... Matt

The netters were banned in the passage and no increase in fish,the mackerel netters were banned in hervey bay and no increase in mackerel caught by anyone,were have all the spotty mackerel gone????? its been years since this has happended you would this the macks would be in plauge proportions by now,and no tailor season in the passage this winter but the pine river has fished well for tailor for those who no when and were to catch them may be these guys should be banned because they catch then and others dont have a clue,and what about the long liners all the guys that chase the long billed fish want them banned as there takeing all there fish but last year was the best season for years for ..................... everyone .............. sail fish every were here and striped marlin down south,were did they all come from if the long liners are takeing all there fish,to just ban all the nets and the pros would mean no bait yes no pillies no prawns no mullet, other than imports and the threat of importing disease that can wipe some fisheries then everyone would be jumping up and down about that,but for those of us that dont use bait to catch fish who cares about them ha.