Thread: Lake barambah redclaw

Thumbs up Lake barambah redclaw

I am going to lake barambah for the first time and love my red clawing. Just got back from Somerset and I think all around the kirkleigh area is getting smashed, not getting the numbers we use to, but in saying that we only keep the big ones anyway. Just love trying new spots, only going for 2 nights so any tips out there would be appreciated. Cheers. Gav

Re: Lake barambah redclaw

Good luck with it mate. I'm also keen to get a feed but no tinnie as yet .

Still a bit early in the year for redclaw, water temp (thermocline) needs to be warmer, November / December would be better.
    Bondy

Mate got 14 redclaw the first night all not a bad size. The second night we got 33 good size ones and threw 6 smaller ones back, so happy with that effort for my first time there, watermelon I think did the trick

@ gav39,

Never tried watermelon, rockmelon has always been successful for me.

33 is not bad , how big where they, e.g. 27cm?

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by gav39 View Post
    Mate got 14 redclaw the first night all not a bad size. The second night we got 33 good size ones and threw 6 smaller ones back, so happy with that effort for my first time there, watermelon I think did the trick
    It is illegal to throw redclaw back into the water at Somerset, you must keep what you catch or destroy it.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    It is illegal to throw redclaw back into the water at Somerset, you must keep what you catch or destroy it.
    He was at Baramba , not Somerset.. although i would assume same rules apply?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

What's the logic behind that rule?

Isn't it because they are an introduced species??

That's right, can't throw any at all back unless you're up north. that includes small ones and females with eggs.
    I just got back from Barambah (BP Dam) yesterday and they were smashing the redclaw, up to 80 a night from 4 traps, some great size too. Combo of rock melon and dog biscuits were the go.
    Got quite a few bass and yellows on Jackalls TN60s and spinnerbaits about 2 km up in the timber as well. Bass were only up to around 37cm but the yellows were big. Guys using shrimp were killing it.

@ Mike Delisser

Wow, thats a few from 4 traps. Mostly around dead trees?

Where abouts is that dam? I've never heard of it previously.

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    @ Mike Delisser

Wow, thats a few from 4 traps. Mostly around dead trees?

Where abouts is that dam? I've never heard of it previously.

Bondy
    I was fishing not redclawing but most traps seemed to be set up in the timber or in the little bit of timber close to the dam wall.
    Lake Barambah also known as Bjelke Petersen Dam or BP Dam or just "Joe's" is just to the southeast of Murgon, and about 3hrs from Brizzy. There is a pretty good camping ground/caravan park called Yallakool right beside the water.

Here's a link to some info about it on Fitzy's website
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/bpdam.htm

Just excuses my ignorance but I always thought redclaw had a bag limit of 50 and through back females with eggs. I go red clawing quite a bit and up until 2 years ago I got told at paradise dam that they were a pest, which does not matter because i gave it ago there and got none in 2 nights first time ever. Last time I was Somerset 1 guy mentioned to me he got told 2 years ago the same story, I have going there for 12 years and have not heard a thing. Do they have signs up or where can I read information about this red claw being a pest and no through backs. I do get the feeling certain dams don't want people red clawing for different reasons and are telling people possibly mislead info. Cheers any help would be good. P.s I do get the updated fresh water size and bag limit brochures would it be in there

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...r-fish/redclaw

if you catch them outside their native habitat, they should not be returned to the water
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.