Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Deckie Experience

Re: The Deckie Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Deckie? Very bad terminology as used here .... some need to sell the boat and play golf..

Oh and yes when money changes hands then you better have a solicitor, you better start ensuring you have a save provided a safe play space, just saying
    What a load of crap! Just sayin....

Do you take people out in your tub Sat Nav ?

You and Mister would get on well together I reckon.

May I also please say, that in my opinion, as shown here tonight, that Muddy Toes is a natural-born-fisherman.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

All you blokes are wrong I would happily take sat nav and mister for a trip on my boat. Reckon it would be a laugh a minute, just let me check my safety helmet is in date, can't be too safe out there.

Seriously guys, don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Seriously guys, don't feed the trolls!
    where would we then look for entertainment?

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    Id put my hand up for the challenge of soleman and mister/satnav just for a laugh!

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!”
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Well, to get back on track, let me offer the following comments. After reading some of the posts, I'm feeling quite deflated. I'm a deckie, or rather, I'd like to think I'm one. I go out when I'm asked. I don't have a boat, nor is there any possibility of me getting one at this stage. Why? Well, time is of the essence. I believe you just cant get a boat and go out into the bay without years of experience. And I don't have the time.

So, I've been blessed with members asking me out from time to time, which is an opportunity I jump at. I've been very fortunate to get experience watching and learning how the experts do it in various parts of the bay targeting different species at different locations. And that is something that I'm very grateful for.

Now, these people have picked me up at home en route to the launching pad or have arranged to meet me at the boat ramp. What should I do when it comes to washing down the boat etc? They say "I'll do it when I get home".

To me, paying my way is paramount. It's just something you have to do. Fuel, bait and whatever is something that I simply must kick in for, because that's the way it is. Now, some of these people say they're going out anyway, and don't worry about it, but in my view, that's beside the point.

I've always thought that you took your own sangas or whatever, water, tea, coffee and looked after yourself, and that the skipper would do the same. Some comments have alluded to the fact that the skipper should be fed by the deckie while he's punching out the mark.

If nothing comes over the side into the box, then I don't care. I've had a good day out on the water and a lot of fun and banter.

So, you can see, I'm feeling rather insecure at the moment, after reading the comments about what some skippers expect.

I just felt that I should put this up. Of course, being a Saturday after afternoon, the demon drink has kicked in, so whatever I might have posted is not my fault.

I'm exhausted.

TOL

You're thinking about it too much dad. Some people draw this imaginary line in the sand and define themselves as 'skippers' and to that title shall the peasants hail. What a load of crap......

You're a man of experience, manners and respect so as soon as you, Ian and Tangles organise some good weather when I'm home we'll go out and natter about the sate of the US fiscal situation until the sun is low in the sky.

Top Mates make great deckies
    It s all about being on the water living life and catching a fish and enjoying it
    Love it
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

TOL I reckon any boat would be improved by your presence. The collective wisdom on board would have at least doubled.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    TOL I reckon any boat would be improved by your presence. The collective wisdom on board would have at least doubled.....

I reckon any boat would be improved by the cakes he would bring......

Quote Originally Posted by jtpython View Post
    Top Mates make great deckies
    It s all about being on the water living life and catching a fish and enjoying it
    Love it
    Yep, nailed it!

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post

Aaaah, somehow I don't think so WL. So long as people don't get me going by spruiking all this glass ceiling crap, housewives in their SUV's etc etc I'll be OK.

TOL

Stay on subject and stop the attacks on other members please.