Thread: Transducer location on lewis kingfisher 590

Transducer location on lewis kingfisher 590

Hey ausfishers,

I've just got a new boat and also I brought a new garmin echomap 70s sounder/GPS for it. Now I no this subject has been gone over soo many times and I've searched the forum but have been unable to find the answer I'm looking for.

I need to know where would be a good spot to mount the transducer. I've tried making a wet box and shooting through the hull but I think the flat keel is too thick (about 25-30mm) as it wasnt reading too well.

There is already a transducer on the back for the northstar sounder/GPS but it doesn't read at speed which is what I want.

So question is where do I mount it. I was thinking in closer to the bung. I don't want to drill into the hull so I'm goin to sikaflex a block off cutting board to the hull to screw it to.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks, Mitch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Transducer location on lewis kingfisher 590

Anyone have an idea?? Think I'm going to try right beside the bung first.

It looks like a Radarsonics transducer, they usually read well but need to be a bit lower in the water than what yours is. Try to lower it a bit more where it is. One of the adjustable brackets at $15 from BCF is pretty handy to adjust the height.

The angle looks about right, but you should play with that to get the best result also. If that fails try as you said closer towards the bung, somewhere in-between those 2 rollers looks about right. Most installation guides say 75mm clear of the prop.

If you have to move it get a mate to help and take it for a run at speed, have a look for the cleanest water over the back before settling on where to place it.

Cheers Malcolm,

The transducer that is already on there is hooked up to the northstar unit. I have lowered it a bit more so will see how it goes.

I decided to mount the td for the new garmin 70s unit next to th bung. It's not very big so will see if it affects the prop/motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images