Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chartplotter recommendations?

Chartplotter recommendations?

Hi all,
    I'm looking at getting a new GPS for the boat and was wondering if yous had any thoughts. I'm looking at spending $1000-$2000. I like the hi way view on the garmin 172c that I have but it's becoming very temperamental and only turns on if it feels like working lol which is not very often. I have a hdi 7 sounder so I'd like to be able to link to that if possible. So tell me fellas what do you have and what features do you like on it to help me decide.
    Cheers Nic

Re: Chartplotter recommendations?

Look at the Simrad NSS7

go the hds 8 or 10 ,I got the 10 in the cat and its awesome..easy to use

Why not take a drive down to Trymax Marine at Capalaba and have a chat to the boys down there. They're not pushy salesmen and when they speak they do so with unbiased industry experience. Their showroom has lots on display and I'm sure you'll find them very helpful.

I took a look at that simrad online. It looks good I like that I can add structure scan and floscan and radar. Ill definitely have to check out trimax muddy toes, cheers for that. Haven't had a chance to really look at the hdi units yet. But ill check em out
    Cheers for the input I feel I have a good starting point. More input welcomed.
    Cheers Nic

Hds7 touch built in structure scan easy to use?

The good news is that Lowrance now give the option of C-Map and Navionics. Good for those that have set themselves up with either brands software to have that choice. The C-Map N BDS or bundled data service (comes with the NSS unit) are not much better than a background Chart. You need the C-Map N Max to get the true detail.
    NSS Simrad units and HDS gen 1,2, touch, HDI 7 & 5 are the models stated on Jeppersons site.
    Last edited by Malcolm W; 24-09-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: changed

Anything but a Garmin..... Was using (trying) to work a mates touch screen 12' thing the other day and it was so busy bombarding me with stats I was ready to rip it out. Talk about overly complicating things. Lowrance is childs play .

I kinda like the sound of being bombarded with stats. Dunno, I just like to know stuff lol. Especially when it comes to the boat.

A second for Trymax Marine, guys great to deal with and really know their stuff. I purchased a Garmin 5012 touch recently for $2750 including g2 vis card, it is simple to use and great features love it, they have good pricing on the Garmin 750 touch screen in your price range.
    Mark

It disturbs me to think how someone could find the Garmin menu system hard to operate. Of all the different brands of chartplotters I've used the Garmin system makes the most sense to use. Everything is laid out very well and in a logical, easy to follow sequence.
    As for the touchscreen............. it doesn't get any better than that. Full touchscreen keyboard and numerical pad to enter/modify waypoints, change parameters, drag the chart around the screen without that annoying lag pushing buttons creates and with the processor the Garmin 7000 series use they are lightning quick to process information and load maps when zooming in and out.
    I've got a Garmin 750s and a Garmin 7012 Nic that you're welcome to play around with next week when I'm home, I'm at Redland Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    It disturbs me to think how someone could find the Garmin menu system hard to operate. Of all the different brands of chartplotters I've used the Garmin system makes the most sense to use. Everything is laid out very well and in a logical, easy to follow sequence.
    As for the touchscreen............. it doesn't get any better than that. Full touchscreen keyboard and numerical pad to enter/modify waypoints, change parameters, drag the chart around the screen without that annoying lag pushing buttons creates and with the processor the Garmin 7000 series use they are lightning quick to process information and load maps when zooming in and out.
    I've got a Garmin 750s and a Garmin 7012 Nic that you're welcome to play around with next week when I'm home, I'm at Redland Bay.

Don't try and be helpful it doesn't suit you.

The hds system is a temperamental b**ch. I have 2 on m boat both combos, it takes quite some time inputting marks into the system if you are going to name them.

I found it annoying that's all. Just a bit busy for my liking, but each to his own. I don't own either so I won't be losing any sleep .

I just put a garmin echomap 70s in my boat. All touch screen. Pinch to zoom in/out like iphone. Super easy to use. Really quick to enter gps co-ordinates too. Plus it comes with a pretty good standard map. There around the $1100 mark.

Use to have 2 HDS 5 units in the boat, 1 hds combo and the other hds5 m, Change it to HDS9 Touch and a Simrad NSS7, both are linked and via wi-fi to I Pad. As a old HDS user I prefer the Simrad over the Lowrance, why? .
    The Simrad is awesome , still use the HDS structure

To get back to your Question, Garmin is one of the better ones if not the best for mapping.
    Sounder is open for discussion but furuno ect leads the way