Thread: 680 Patriot Lowrance/transducer problems

680 Patriot Lowrance/transducer problems

Hi guys

I've just put our new Haines hunter in the water for water testing.
    The sounder/transducer is reading very poorly. It only reads at very low speeds and then flat lines. Only reads again when we stop.
    We have tried the transducer in different positions with little difference.
    Also set sounder setting to what many people have recommended.

The setup we have is :

Lowrance HDS 10 Gen2 combo units x 2
    50/200 KHz Transom mount skimmer transducer.

We originally had ordered a 600w thru hull transducer but the dealership was not confident on fitting it. So they fitted the transom mounted one.

One marine shop said it would be the bubbles and to adjust the height.
    Another said the Haines dead rise is the problem.

Haines Hunter originally recommended the 1kw inhull.

Don't know whether to keep mucking around with the one fitted or find someone else to install a inhull/thru hull.

So if anyone has any ideas on what's going on.

Steve.

Re: 680 Patriot Lowrance/transducer problems

You should be able to set the transom mount up so that it gives a decent picture at speed. If you read the manual and set it up accordingly, then it will work well. Te deep V hull actually helps get it into clear water, but you will have to play around getting it set up right. Having said that, any competent and experienced installer should get it right pretty well first go. That could be your problem.......

That being said, the thru-hulls that fits flush will definitely perform better at all speeds, particularly faster speeds. So it would be a better option for the long term.

The choices would be to stay with a standard 600w transducer such as the Airmar B60, (or SS60 which is the same element in a stainless steel housing vs the bronze of the B60), or since you are going to the trouble of cutting a nice big hole in the hull, going to a higher performance level with the Airmar B/SS 164 which is a 1kw 50/200 transducer, which is 6 times more sensitive at 50khz and twice as sensitive at 200khz. That would be the better option, I would think.

Or you could go the full monty and get the SS264n pair (2 x95mm holes in the hull!) which will be about 50 times more sensitive. See http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009...&manf=Lowrance. It will cost a motza if you buy it here in Aus but you can get them in from the States for under $2k. That way, you'll be able to see a herring hiding in a cave n the bottom in 250m of watet!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Find a new dealer and get through hulls installed, or have a go yourself.

Thanks guys.

As most of my fishing is in 50mtr to 100mtr of water. I was originally thinking of going the way of the B60 Bronze thru-hull 20 degree tilt 600W .

Would there be much benefit in using the B164 Bronze thru-hull 1 kW or the M260 1kW in-hull transducer for these depths of waters?

I think I'll have a crack at fitting it myself.

I also have a 680,i run a furuno with a thru hull transducer,dont have any problems. Cheers Dave
    If a women cancels a Date, its because she has to.
    If a man cancels a Date, its because he has two.

We drilled the hole through our haines and fitted it ourselves. Best thing we ever did. Just hard coming to terms actually drilling the hole, never a nice feeling drilling straight through the bottom.

The hole has been in our haines for about 20 years. No dramas yet.

Pazz

Apart from the greater power, the difference between the B60 and the 164 is the element. Simply, the 164 is significantly more sensitive and will give greater discrimination and better target definition.

You would have to make the decision about whether the price difference between the two is worth it for you. I will say that they are considerably less expensive if you bring them in from the USA. For example the B164 can be had for around US$630, plus delivery.

(See http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...plus-more.html). Can highly recommend this guy, have bought thru him.

The install is pretty easy. Google installing thru-hull transducer and u-tube will show you how. The best ones are videos uploaded by BOE marine in the USA.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Moonlighter.
    Contacted Gil, he said he only ships the B164 within the US.

I'll have to keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shafter View Post
    Moonlighter.
    Contacted Gil, he said he only ships the B164 within the US.

I'll have to keep looking.
    Shafter,

I have a 625 profish, the lowrance transducer works, but not at speed, I rely on the furuno at speed and use both when drifting. I can post a photo of where it is installed, if that assists.

My boat is in today for a through hull B164, this will be connected to my furuno 585. the price difference for the transducer was $200.00 more in Australia, for that reason I chose to by it here, no warranty or supply issues.

It is replacing a P79 shoot through hull) that I have had some issues with losing tank water. Apart from that, the p79 when working worked at speed, properly.

I will make some video footage when I can, as I still have some of the p79, see if I see the difference.

Regards
    Honda.

We installed an ss264w 50 and a ss264w 200 in my mates edencraft real easy, they come in pairs and pigtail together. I am running a B164 in my HH 650R and it works a treat. Will be changing to a pair of wide beams 264s. Get rid of the TM. Install is easy, just avoid strake and rollers. If they put your ball valves and pumps in the right place it should be no trouble. No they won't leak. You might be better off with a wet box for depth penetration, but our main targets are marlin and tuna and these are good. Bit of money though. If you sourced them from the states you can buy an adaptor cable to suit your sounder, a lot of them there have generic cables on the trannies for that purpose. I would rather drill holes in the hull than in my transom anyway.