Thread: Coochin Creek sucks!!!!

Coochin Creek sucks!!!!

well its been around 8 years since i fished coochin creek, so yesterday i thought i'd see how and if anything has improved over the years.

was on the water from 7am ready to fish incomming tide for whiting. drifted nearly every square inch of the river from the mouth up to the camping grounds for zero bites (using bloodworms for bait).

in getting to the mouth we hit a grand total of 7 submerged trees which modified the prop beautifully!!

after the whiting failure the micro mullets were tied on and we proceeded to once again troll the entire length of the creek for you guess it zero hits.

after 5 hours on the water for no bits or hits of any kind, desperate times called for desperate measures, the cast net was deployed for a few mullet which was then used for a few strip baits to see if any bream still lived in the creek. once again fished various locations throughout the creek for 2 bites and once MASSIVE 15cm bream (couldn't contain my excitment!!!!)

so for about 7 hours of fishing, one 15cm bream was caught, one highly modified propeller was made, $30 worth of bloodworms were returned to the water.

needless to say if your thinking of fishing in coochin creek, don't waste your time!!!

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: Coochin Creek sucks!!!!

Barney your not sound happy mate. Funny you should mention about modified Propellor, took the Mrs up to Donnybrook early last week. That channel in between the first 2 Green Beacons just nth of Boat Ramp on low tide is a F"in joke on low water.Hit some submerged objects need to replace Propellor and maybe a shaft. No Fish mate, I'm feeling your pain

It always takes time to work out new spots and find the fish and the best times and tides for that area. I don't fish for whiting myself, but I believe that they are better at night. I have fished around the mouth of Coochin Ck a few times myself. Best fish was an 83 cm flathead my mate caught at the rock bar at the mouth. Also caught a few smaller flatties, bream and a brown sweetlip from that area. Quite a few sharks around that area also, particular from now to December. Don't fish up that was very often anymore. Hate the mozzies and sandflies and have other spots that fish better (I am putting up another report today).

Always worth taking it easy in the boat in areas that you are not familiar with. We have had some good floods and creeks change and trees do get washed in.

My advice - keep at it. Fish as light as possible (line and sinker) and fish the one spot several times until you work out a pattern.

Manta I hit bottom there every time at low tide and I only have a 4.2 tinny, god knows how bigger boats get through, it should be either marked or dredged, to my thinking any marked channel should be navigatable at any tide..
    Quote Originally Posted by manta man View Post
    Barney your not sound happy mate. Funny you should mention about modified Propellor, took the Mrs up to Donnybrook early last week. That channel in between the first 2 Green Beacons just nth of Boat Ramp on low tide is a F"in joke on low water.Hit some submerged objects need to replace Propellor and maybe a shaft. No Fish mate, I'm feeling your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    It always takes time to work out new spots and find the fish and the best times and tides for that area. I don't fish for whiting myself, but I believe that they are better at night. I have fished around the mouth of Coochin Ck a few times myself. Best fish was an 83 cm flathead my mate caught at the rock bar at the mouth. Also caught a few smaller flatties, bream and a brown sweetlip from that area. Quite a few sharks around that area also, particular from now to December. Don't fish up that was very often anymore. Hate the mozzies and sandflies and have other spots that fish better (I am putting up another report today).

Always worth taking it easy in the boat in areas that you are not familiar with. We have had some good floods and creeks change and trees do get washed in.

My advice - keep at it. Fish as light as possible (line and sinker) and fish the one spot several times until you work out a pattern.
    Sorry i should have also mentioned in my rant back in the early 2000's i used to camp and fish the creek quite often and knew the waterway like the back of my hand (not the case anymore with quite a few sunken obstables!!!), we used to catch our fair share of whiting around this time of year, in fact my best whiting ever came from this creek back around 2001 around 44cm, and we've also caught our fair share of flathead and bream. however i was just gobsmacked yesterday as to how much the creek has changed (mainly around the mouth) and how little fish life there was, i suppose that can happen when it's been around 8 years since my last visit.

That's funny, I was at the mouth yesterday between 4.45am and 7.30am. I did ok. I bought these 5 home and released at least another 8 just like them. I left once the tide started pushing hard and the fishing shut down. I didn't have any blood worms though! All I had was a clear Bubble Pop with a white back Two of these are 40cms and the others are a couple of cms shorter.

"needless to say if your thinking of fishing in coochin creek, don't waste your time!!!" I don't think I wasted my time at all, I've caught more in a session but yesterday was ok! No modified props either?

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	96476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit2.jpg 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	96477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit7.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	96481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit6.jpg 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	96480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit3.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	96478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaaawhit4.jpg 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	96479

Nice whiting johnbt

Cant complain about that

Bondy

Thanks Bondy, good whiting on poppers are a favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Nice whiting johnbt

Cant complain about that

Bondy

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Nice feed their johnbt