Thread: Transducer in hull

Transducer in hull

Hi all,
    I have a Garmin 550c with a spare transom type transducer and head unit. Can I simply epoxy base of the transducer to the inside of my hobie? Will it work out of the water?
    Cheers Brad

Re: Transducer in hull

Yes, but use silicon. I have a lowrance x4 in my sit in canoe with the transducer siliconed behind my seat. Make sure you clean the area very well and there cant be any bubbles. I was lucky as the grove in the bottom of the canoe fits the transducer perfectly, meaning minimal hull and silicon to go through.

Yep I have the lowrance tranny siliconed into the hull of my hobie it's the second hobie I have done it to and it works fine ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks guys.
    I was going to use Devcon, but sillocon? Acidic or neutral cure?

The stuff that holds mine in was part of a kit to do an in hull install that I got from sunstate hobie at riverside ....Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I just used aquarium safe silicon as I had plenty of it. Its time to redo mine after about two years.

I've siliconed the tranny in one of my yaks (Cuda 300), and use the wet-mount method in the other (Lowrance Elite 4x DSI).

Wet-mount involved cutting a piece of dense foam and silicone it inside the hull that has a cut-out in the middle the same shape as the tranny. Then I simply put a little water in the cut-out and press the tranny down into it (removing all air). Works perfect. This way I can totally remove and use in other boats/yaks.

Cheers,
    Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================