Thread: Moreton bay Sunday 22nd

Moreton bay Sunday 22nd

Going for a fun day out with family. Probably end up round the sand hills to 4 beacons area for a fish, then a swim and lunch on the beach at the Sandhills.

See you out there.

Mike

Re: Moreton bay Sunday 22nd

I was over there then came south of Mud then back to Whyte Island.

According to wave bouy and Bom we had 1.75 metre waves and 19 knot winds.

The Brisbane bar was a real washing machine. East of mud, and then later in the channel, I took a slab of water over the windscreen and into the boat.

First one was my fault second just unavoidable. Fairly exciting boating but probably nothing out of the ordinary to many of you guys.

Real pain having to empty the boat of stuff to hose it out. Oh well... all good experience. Good fun day up till the soaking.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Moreton bay Sunday 22nd

Hey fellas, since the Brisbane Bar was such a messy place yesterday I was wondering if you can easily get in from the Manly side to the Whyte island ramp?

Low tide?

G'day Mike....must catch up in person one day...thanks again fer the wheels/tyres

Cheers, Ray.

Yes if you run down the other side of Fisherman Islands you can easily escape the Brizzy River tidal flow and the chop it creates in a strong northerly.
    This course is smoother and shorter especially if you are willing to travel across the shallow banks rather than the marked channels.

You will need to know your minimum cruising depth and stay pretty close to it.
    Those banks are pretty flat, no sudden ups and downs, so keep to the minimum planning speed, be prepared to stop and turn back East towards the channel running down the inside of St Helena.

A safer trip would be to launch at Manly rather than Whyte Island if coming home in a northerly.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yeah safer woulda been better but I had a plan and stuck to it.

They say that old blokes get inflexible... oops.

Thanks for the info. Just never seen anyone heading east from the ramp so thought it must be silted up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Yeah safer woulda been better but I had a plan and stuck to it.

They say that old blokes get inflexible... oops.

Thanks for the info. Just never seen anyone heading east from the ramp so thought it must be silted up or something.

People only head east to pump yabbies or dig worms. Low tide is 0.6 meters

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    G'day Mike....must catch up in person one day...thanks again fer the wheels/tyres

Cheers, Ray.
    Sorry if the above was confusing...had you mixed up with GrandMarlin...my mistake

Cheers, Ray.