Thread: No pot of gold for illegal commercial crabber

No pot of gold for illegal commercial crabber

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Media release
    19 September 2013

No pot of gold for illegal commercial crabber

A Mooloolaba commercial crabber and his business have been fined in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court $19,000 plus $3,650 in costs for crabbing offences.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) District Officer Russell Overton said the fine was for use of too many pots and fishing in a closed season.

“QBFP conducted a search of the crabber’s vessel east of Bribie Island following a tip off from the public,” said Mr Overton.

“We found the crabber using a total of 155 blue swimmer crab pots and associated apparatus, although his licence only permitted him to use 50. Some of his gear was also unmarked.

“The excess crab pots were seized, with 55 forfeited to the State and the remaining 50 pots may be returned to the crabber if he can demonstrate he can operate them legally from a second vessel he owns.

“QBFP will be requesting to destroy the excess gear to serve as a reminder to those considering illegal fishing.

“Approximately 93% of commercially caught blue swimmer crabs on the east coast of Queensland come from the Sunshine Coast to Fraser Island and Moreton Bay region, which highlights the commercial importance of crabbing to this area.

“On a separate occasion, the same commercial crabber was found fishing in the spanner crab fishery during the closed season.

“The severity of the fine demonstrates the seriousness of the offences, which have the potential to impact on the sustainability of our crabbing fisheries.”

Mr Overton said fishing rules for gear and closed seasons are in place for both commercial and recreational fishers to protect our fisheries resources.

“The crabber’s illegal activities posed a threat not only to the spanner crab breeding population, but he also stood to profit from beating law-abiding commercial fishers to the markets,” he said.

“It’s important that everyone abides by the rules to assist long-term sustainability and resource sharing.”

If anyone suspects illegal fishing, please report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116 so that it can be investigated.

For more information on fishing rules, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Re: No pot of gold for illegal commercial crabber

severity for a 2nd offender and a commercial operator - gotta be kidding.

joke and again only ever found by tip offs.

The heading " no pot of gold" Yeah right he has been farming that extra 55 pots of gold for how long??

So he was using all his pots from one vessel and 55 extras . That give him a whole lot of other parts of the fishery to ensure he gets full pots . Just trying to add up how little I need from each pot to get my fine paid off 20K / 55 pots + $350 per pot. yep I only need have been sinking my 55 extra pots to get $350 per pot to pay my fine. how long do you reckon it would take to get a measley $350 from each extra pot. There is so little disincentive makes me puke.

Confiscation of the vessel might have sent a message and any vehicle used to transport the crabs along with the pots .

Fisheries Qld, dont be disheartend by the soft penalties imposed by the magistrates. Keep up the good work!

I give Up

A MOOLOOLABA commercial crabber and his business have been ordered to pay more than $12,000 for fishing illegally.
    Terry Douglas Foster, who operates Telefresh Seafoods Pty Ltd, was caught by a Queensland Boating and Fisheries patrol using too many pots and fishing in a closed season.
    Foster pleaded guilty in Maroochydore Magistrates Court this week to three charges on behalf of himself and his business.
    Another 22 charges against each were dropped.
    Queensland Boating and Fisheries district officer Russell Overton, commenting on the case, said officers acting on a tip-off from the public boarded the crabber's vessel off Bribie Island for a search.
    "We found the crabber using a total of 155 blue swimmer crab pots and associated apparatus even though his licence only permitted him to use 50," Mr Overton said.
    "Some of his gear was also unmarked."
    The Boating and Fisheries legal team acknowledged that it was permissible at one stage for two crabbing licences to be attached to one vessel.
    But Foster exceeded the 100 pots allowable under two licences by having 155 pots out.
    The court heard that when officers asked Foster why he was also fishing out of hours, he told them he thought the fishery opened at noon rather than midnight.
    However, conflicting information in his logbooks indicated that he had been fishing there since that morning, the court was told.
    Foster was also fined $6000 earlier this month after being found fishing in a spanner crab fishery during the closed season.
    He was fined $4000 and Telefresh slugged $8000 for the latest charges, plus professional and court costs of more than $1500.
    Magistrate Cliff Taylor also ordered the forfeiture of 55 of the excess crab pots to the state.
    Foster may be allowed to keep another 50 pots if he obtains a survey certificate for a second vessel so that it can operate commercially.
    Mr Overton said the fines demonstrated the seriousness of Foster's offending.
    Commercial and recreational fishers were subject to rules about gear and seasons to protect fisheries resources, Mr Overton said.
    "It's important that everyone abides by the rules to assist long-term sustainability and resource sharing," he said.
    To report suspected illegal fishing, phone the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116.
    Information on fishing rules is available at http://www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or 1325 23.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    severity for a 2nd offender and a commercial operator - gotta be kidding.

joke and again only ever found by tip offs.

The heading " no pot of gold" Yeah right he has been farming that extra 55 pots of gold for how long??

So he was using all his pots from one vessel and 55 extras . That give him a whole lot of other parts of the fishery to ensure he gets full pots . Just trying to add up how little I need from each pot to get my fine paid off 20K / 55 pots + $350 per pot. yep I only need have been sinking my 55 extra pots to get $350 per pot to pay my fine. how long do you reckon it would take to get a measley $350 from each extra pot. There is so little disincentive makes me puke.

Confiscation of the vessel might have sent a message and any vehicle used to transport the crabs along with the pots .
    Don't stop at taking his boat and vehicle, take the ####ers licence as well! He is not only raping our ocean but he is giving the good pros a bad name.

Oh come on the leniency of this is just crazy. What was he up to sinking extra pots to pay previous recent fines and .......didn't know rule changes.............fishing out of season......non marked equipment ................oh crap I give up. Someone is having a laugh at fisheries publishing the media release as all it says is come rape and pillage a fishery as the penalty is miniscule , tax deductible and you can go to work the next day Can't believe it - should be a min time penalty of 3 months off the water then supervised and not just let em back on to pillage- penalty not fitting crime IMO.