Thread: Screenshots of my sounder at the Red Buoy at Coochie. What am I seeing here?

Screenshots of my sounder at the Red Buoy at Coochie. What am I seeing here?

Hi Gents

I gave my new Lowrance Elite 5X a workout today around the Red Buoy at Coochiemudlo Island. Went out about 2, came in at 7, not a bite.

However, my sounder was alive with what looked like fish. Can anyone enlighten me as to what these pictures are showing.

I'm wondering if the first show is showing a thermocline. Also wondering if the greenish fringe down the bottom in picture 2 is weed or something similar.

All help appreciated.

Shot-1.jpgShot-2.jpg
    Last edited by PeterKroll; 18-09-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Double up of photos

Re: Screenshots of my sounder at the Red Buoy at Coochie. What am I seeing here?

Mate if you go into settings and turn the sensitivity down about halfway you'll get much clearer images. The bottom one looks like weed. Play with the settings next time you're out on the water, cheers.

Re: Screenshots of my sounder at the Red Buoy at Coochie. What am I seeing here?

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

have a search on youtube, someone somewhere will have some tips for sounder optimisation on that make and model (or close enough to work), cheers.

Thermoclines appear as little bubble lines horizontally in the water column on mine.

Hi mate that is weed and grass in the water column that's what i proved mine to be u need to turn the colour line up as well greens and yellows are very light returns normally jelly fish in the bay hope this helps

Makes sense, Jsmfun. I was catching a lot of floating weed.

Fin, haven't seen bubbles lines on mine, but will pay more attention .