Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

Queensland Government
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry

Media release
    17 September 2013

Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

A Darra restaurant has been fined $17,000 in the Richlands Magistrates Court for possession and intent to use illegal mud crabs.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) District Manager Brett Depper said the restaurant was searched following a tip off from the public.

“QBFP executed a search warrant and found 66 female mud crabs and 37 undersize male mud crabs in the kitchen,” Mr Depper said.

“All of these crabs were still alive apart from one that was being handled by a kitchen hand.

“The crabs were seized as evidence, and after inspection were able to be released alive into the Brisbane River at Pinkenba.

“The fine amount reflects the seriousness of the crime, as it impacts the sustainability of the crab fishery should female and undersize crabs be taken by fishers.

“Female mud crabs have been a protected species in Queensland for over 100 years, so there’s no excuse for not knowing the rules.”

Mr Depper said the proprietor was unable to provide receipts for the purchase of the crabs, so it was also suspected the crabs were from an unlicensed person.

“This type of back door buying of fisheries resources from unlicensed people is a blow to the commercial fishing industry,” he said.

“Not only do you risk buying illegal product as this proprietor did, but it was also being sold illegally.

“Licensed crabbers pay fees to operate legitimately in the fishery, and black marketing of product affects their commercial viability.

“Those people caught selling fisheries product without a licence risk fines up to $110,000.”

If you suspect illegal fishing, or the sale of illegal product, report it to Fishwatch on 1800 017 116.

For more information on crabbing rules, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.

Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook and Twitter (@FisheriesQld).

Re: Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

Great job Fisheries!!

Great job member of public who dobbed them in too. Why isn't said restaurant named?

Good job. But it is just the tip of the iceberg.Maybe Fisheries should do what they do in New Zealand and raid the fish shops and seafood restaurants
    Also raid seafood suppliers.
    bazza

Great work buy the person making the decission to call the authorities,shows that people are not going to turn a blind eye on this problem. If only the authorities had more resources there would be a lot more caught I am sure.

Hi, we generally don't name people who are prosecuted for privacy reasons - for us it's more about the offence than the person.

The SHOP also should have been CLOSED down and ALL equipment seized and sold at auction......isnt this what happens if WE get caught ? We lose boat AND vehicle....as WELL as any resulting fine.....YET, we were just out for a good day and accidently kept an undersize.....

Apparently this is at the discretion of said authorities....BUT....I see a pattern forming where Fisheries do NOT prosecute to the FULL extent of the law....WHY

IF you (Fisheries)are going to be a force....then DO it....FULL extent....make an example of at least SOMEONE...ESPECIALLY someone in the BUSINESS of taking illegal catch and onselling to the public.

FISHERIES....dont you have ANY teeth at ALL

And IF you (Fisheries) think that I am going overboard with my comments here....just WAIT till I get started

Ray

Good job, though the restaurant should be named in a Fisheries breach, same as they are currently named for any offenses in relation to breaches of the Health Code or Fair work act etc.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Good job on the prosecution fisheries, but one has to ask how much revenue could this store raise from 100 illegal mud crabs? From that perspective, 17k seems like a tap on the wrist. Will it alter behaviour, i hope so, but I wouldnt be surprised if the answer was no.

Good job Fisheries but really, those poor muddies you guys saved have been through a lot, is the Brizzy River at Pinkenba the best you could do for them? I recon Pumicestone Passage or Jumpinpin would have been much nicer for the crabs.

And if you're going to name the suburb (Darra), you should name the restaurant, now every law biding restaurant in Darra is under suspicion by those who read your media release. Overall a good result though, keep up the good work guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Good job Fisheries but really, those poor muddies you guys saved have been through a lot, is the Brizzy River at Pinkenba the best you could do for them? I recon Pumicestone Passage or Jumpinpin would have been much nicer for the crabs.

And if you're going to name the suburb (Darra), you should name the restaurant, now every law biding restaurant in Darra is under suspicion by those who read your media release.
    Hahaha, if they like mud then seems like the perfect place?

Being angry with Fisheries will not help them post on this forum, Ray.
    They were very helpful to you with your whiting species thread.
    I would suggest that we encourage Fisheries to keep inspecting businesses in that area.

There is some confusion re undersize seafood especially in the Asian suburbs around Sunnybank.

The fish markets there sell heaps of approx 45cm Barra, I assume these fish are farmed not wild.
    And the crab dishes that you see in the restaurants certainly to appear to have claws from female mud crabs, plus smaller shells than a legal buck would possibly have.
    I assume these are farmed...
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

WITH soooo many Jennies , Hopefully {the supplier} was just an NT backpacker or nsw rsole

Unless the guy supplying the product was caught it means little as it will only continue,it seems checks on fish shops are easy targets when most wouldn't even have second thoughts about knocking back recs selling their catch, I being commercial and having my catches so heavily scrutinized by fisheries in the past have lost one of my best buyers through over policing of buyers,now it's just easier for him to get imported fish than deal with the bullshit handed out by some arrogant offices when it comes to local product this nearly crippled my business at one stage when this guy was taking 80 per cent of my product.

So Fisheries Queensland, is this revenue (if its ever going to be paid in full) going to be put toward further black market enforcement? Legitimate operators must he answerable to Fisheries Officers who consider themselves forensic accountants, yet a business operating very illegally continues to exist? What efforts were made to identify the black market supplier??