Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

Re: Restaurant in hot water for illegal crabs

Quote Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
    Being angry with Fisheries will not help them post on this forum, Ray.
    They were very helpful to you with your whiting species thread.
    I would suggest that we encourage Fisheries to keep inspecting businesses in that area.

There is some confusion re undersize seafood especially in the Asian suburbs around Sunnybank.

The fish markets there sell heaps of approx 45cm Barra, I assume these fish are farmed not wild.
    And the crab dishes that you see in the restaurants certainly to appear to have claws from female mud crabs, plus smaller shells than a legal buck would possibly have.
    I assume these are farmed...
    Pauly
    Ahhhhh Paully....As always, the politician here...

M8, I am sorry, but I do not see the correlation of IDing a species versus APPLYING the full extent of the law to some business that is in CLEAR violation of said laws...AND maybe others.....but THIS for now.

Thank you for your comments.......HOWEVER.....

I believe I raise a good and valuable point re: ALL business people, REGARDLESS where they originate, HAVE to comply to AUSTRALIAN LAW & standards.....there is NO "oops, so you made a mistake, you didnt understand"...HUH ????????...

I mean....do we REALLY believe that this was just a ONCE-OFF

MY take is back to my original question.....WHY is the FULL extent of the law NOT enforced....ESPECIALLY when someone has been caught RED-HANDED ???????

WHY......because Fisheries do NOT have any teeth to bite with....THAT is why....

AND, it is because of this that FAR many people DO what they do....BECAUSE, they in fact KNOW this to be true.

UNTIL these perps are SUFFICIENTLY prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law....the LAW is just a joke......

Sorta says to ME......"hell, if THEY can get away with THAT, what can I get away with" ?....just a little fish here, a crab there, a bag limit exceeded here, a no take there........WHERE does it give US the CONFIDENCE that what WE are doing actually makes a god-damn DIFFERENCE ?????

ANY day of the week.....go to ANY of the southern bay ramps and watch THIS unfold.....

4 -5 am....Little tinny.....wifey as well...USUALLY no visible registration marked on boat/outboad motor COVERED .....LONG SLEEVES....LONG TROUSERS....faces COVERED & droopy hats. Ya really do NOT have to be Einstein to work it out....

I

THEY know....and they just dont CARE......WHY.....cos chances are they will NEVER be caught....AND, they will remember a friend of theirs in Darra who ONLY got fined X amount when they got caught....dont matter, they know just how much they have ALL made and the X is not even a DROP in the bucket.

UNTIL THIS sort of thinking is removed from our waterways, ALL the green zones and bag/size limits will NOT stop the supplier supplying to a business that will take whatever

IF said business was closed down, at least it would send some form of effective warning to the REAL parasites that rape our waterways.

Anyways, just wanted to keep this short......Next

Ray.
    Last edited by mod2; 18-09-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: racist comments removed

Good on Fisheries for acting on the tip off. It is the Magistrate that applies the law, Fisheries just enforce it. So without knowing the detail of the case I don't think we can comment on what Fisheries did or did not do.

Really $17000 is not much of a fine from the Court, only approx $170 a crab. Taking all those Jennies should have been a higher fine, more like $1000 a crab. Taking the breeders out of the system is just plain disgusting.

We should be advocating for more resources for Fisheries, so they can be at the ramps at 4 in the morning to get those that take the illegal fish/crabs and then on sell. I recall a couple of years ago 2 guys were picked up at Jacobs Well ramp early in the morning by Fisheries (Tip off from water police I think) with around 150 undersized bucks and Jennies. Probably heading for the same markets/restaurants.

how do we find out who the judge was, find their boss, lodge complaints regarding fine being to soft. the QLD gov is looking for dollars so they should be keen to double all fines being imposed.
    This is an area where very large scale black markets occur, if caught with these commercial numbers they need to be slammed.
    well done fisheries, I know you get pissed at the light fines as well.
    people power is the only way the get this changed. that's a fact!
    Anyone got the balls and knowhow to get a petition started to have this penalty reviewed and overturned.
    We really need to rid ourselves of these grubs

Yep, agree with mortyb, it is the judge who applies the laws and sets the penalties. Fisheries are only the enforcement agency for this particular area of the law. I would expect that they would have requested maximum penalties be applied (no idea what these are) but the judges run to the beat of their own drum.....

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    Yep, agree with mortyb, it is the judge who applies the laws and sets the penalties. Fisheries are only the enforcement agency for this particular area of the law. I would expect that they would have requested maximum penalties be applied (no idea what these are) but the judges run to the beat of their own drum.....

Something I did NOT do, before posting any of the above was to HIGHLY commend Fisheries for their diligent efforts with minimal resourses....please notice I am RAPT that at least SOMETHING is working...thank you for your hard investigative work Fisheries....and strange as it may seem to some....I WELCOME you people aboard MY boat ANYTIME.

YES guys I do understand what you are saying...and no argument there...BUT it is all WRONG....so HOW can we change it

Relying on the casual joe blow public that MIGHT make a complaint from time to time will only ever have minimal consequences, it is my contention that it needs to be nipped in the bud AT & ON the water.

And on THAT note......how can we collectively become involved in pushing for MAX penalties....as was suggested by Warrigul for not ONLY this particular case, BUT ones further down the track

I do have ONE positive suggestion in all this and this is it.....make ANYONE that wants to act as a "deputy" in lieu of Fisheries themselves, have the RIGHT & the POWER To be able to pull up questionable boats and notify them RIGHT then & THERE that if they do NOT decease/desist their current activity, that all the details available at the time CAN & WILL be reported to Fisheries posthaste.

As I see the above proposal....THIS would give Fisheries and extended arm if you like, and NOT cost the ratepayer a cent. The "deputies" would be volunteer only and would work in accordance with restricted guidelines to be able to liase & report to Fisheries themselves DIRECT.

This idea is probably not new, however I have been considering the implications for some years now.....IS it POSSIBLE

Thanks, Ray.

Wasn't there suppose to be more Fisheries Officers under a Newmann led Government

Quote Originally Posted by solemandownunder View Post
    Something I did NOT do, before posting any of the above was to HIGHLY commend Fisheries for their diligent efforts with minimal resourses....please notice I am RAPT that at least SOMETHING is working...thank you for your hard investigative work Fisheries....and strange as it may seem to some....I WELCOME you people aboard MY boat ANYTIME.

YES guys I do understand what you are saying...and no argument there...BUT it is all WRONG....so HOW can we change it

Relying on the casual joe blow public that MIGHT make a complaint from time to time will only ever have minimal consequences, it is my contention that it needs to be nipped in the bud AT & ON the water.

And on THAT note......how can we collectively become involved in pushing for MAX penalties....as was suggested by Warrigul for not ONLY this particular case, BUT ones further down the track

I do have ONE positive suggestion in all this and this is it.....make ANYONE that wants to act as a "deputy" in lieu of Fisheries themselves, have the RIGHT & the POWER To be able to pull up questionable boats and notify them RIGHT then & THERE that if they do NOT decease/desist their current activity, that all the details available at the time CAN & WILL be reported to Fisheries posthaste.

As I see the above proposal....THIS would give Fisheries and extended arm if you like, and NOT cost the ratepayer a cent. The "deputies" would be volunteer only and would work in accordance with restricted guidelines to be able to liase & report to Fisheries themselves DIRECT.

This idea is probably not new, however I have been considering the implications for some years now.....IS it POSSIBLE

Thanks, Ray.
    Ray,
    Whilst trying to direct your energy elsewhere may be like turning a strong NW wind into a light southerly, may I please point out the following in order to assist you to see your aspirations become reality overnight?
    1. You have every right to approach another recreational boat, safely, as you would to walk up to a person in the street.
    2. If or when you observe any illegal or 'un-cool' activity it is asked by Qld Gov't that you report it by phoning FishWatch on 1800 017 116
    Yes I know "Fish Watch" s a misleading name, suggesting a scuba group fraction of a bird watching society, but that is who you should call.

Do not float there in mute fascination.

3. If you approach illegal activity and they become irate, irritable or possibly even impolite, abusive or violent, please politely report them to Redland Bay Water Police on 0408 744020 (In my opinion RBWP don't mess around)

That is all. It just takes individuals to report an offence. You don't need any recognition just do it and move on.
    If an individual is too chicken to report it then don't complain on here.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ray,
    Whilst trying to direct your energy elsewhere may be like turning a strong NW wind into a light southerly, may I please point out the following in order to assist you to see your aspirations become reality overnight?
    1. You have every right to approach another recreational boat, safely, as you would to walk up to a person in the street.
    2. If or when you observe any illegal or 'un-cool' activity it is asked by Qld Gov't that you report it by phoning FishWatch on 1800 017 116
    Yes I know "Fish Watch" s a misleading name, suggesting a scuba group fraction of a bird watching society, but that is who you should call.
    3. If you approach illegal activity and are able to help them become irate, irritable or possibly even impolite, abusive or violent, please politely report them to Redland Bay Water Police on 0408 744020 (In my opinion RBWP don't mess around)

That is all. It just takes individuals to report an offence. You don't need any recognition just do it and move on.
    Pauly
    Thanks Pauly, I needed that...I feel all relaxed and calm now

Contacts and phone numbers have been added to my phone

Its amazing what info can be gleaned by just asking a question...or two

Cheers, Ray.

racist comments are not tolerated on this forum..some have been removed and posts edited..any more and the member posting may be removed also.

Ray,
    3. If you approach illegal activity and are able to help them become irate, irritable or possibly even impolite, abusive or violent, please politely report them to Redland Bay Water Police on 0408 744020 (In my opinion RBWP don't mess around)

Pauly
    I think he just wants an actual badge

Fatbuoy, you have a great turn of phrase. And infinite patience, it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Wasn't there suppose to be more Fisheries Officers under a Newmann led Government
    This is a good question Mike.
    Without driving a tangent here, does anyone know how many fisheries officers there are in Queensland?
    I'm informed five years ago we had 120 officers. Now.............70.

great job on securing the conviction fq. here is another suggestion tho. ring the tax office on 132861 (it can be done anonymously if you wish) and report the restaurant owners for undeclared cash income. if you were unable to locate records as to the supplier of the illegal product it is obvious that they have cash dealings and it would be so nice to have the ato bend them over for a second shafting. remember how al capone was brought down when criminal law failed?
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!