Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer whiting season in the South East !

Summer whiting season in the South East !

Great time of year for the Estuary angler in South East Queensland !

Got away for an overnight trip to the Nerang River on the fabulous Gold Coast to hunt down some mega Sand Whiting the area is famous for.

Arrived a little late to find 15 boats crowding the gun spot in the river. I anchored on the fringe but off the fish unfortunately, I spent the next few hours watching boats around me load up, not a bite for me ?

Time to move, which paid immediate dividends. 36cm specimen the first to go on ice. The fish were steady for the rest of the evening, a couple then quiet for 45 min, then a couple more.....
    I lay down for a kip just after midnight leaving the lines in the water. Seemed like that was the trigger for the fish to bite harder as I seamed to be up and down attending to rods right through till daybreak but I'm sure I got some serious snoring in there as well.

Good quality fish, most between 30 and 33cm, but no big 40 cm trophy fish this time.
    Lovely night on the water, always entertaining listening to the locals in their mansions partying away, laughing and getting hammered !!
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	96410  

Re: Summer whiting season in the South East !

Mate, they are great whiting. I spent an afternoon running up and down the Nerang River with guide Brad Smith. Heavily populated, houses and people everywhere, and we still caught bream after bream, with a couple of whiting and a flathead thrown in. All on plastics or lures.

What bait were you using?

Yeah Brad is the Man !!! A gold coast local and good guy. I have been on charter with him as well many years ago.

Actually, when I was returning to the Ramp at Budd's beach I saw brad on the water with a Charter.
    It was Friday morning, was that you guys ?

Yeah don't worry about the Nerang being crowded with houses, it's a top fishing location !
    Bait was worms for this catch of whiting.

Thats a cracking catch Craigie!

What sort of outfit do you use to catch whiting - rod length, reel, line etc? Just looking at buying one this week.

Cheers Dean

Some lovely Whiting there, well done mate.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Dean,

Check out my latest video and article on web site.

http://www.ozfishtube.com/

I did a piece on Bream rods, which are the same rods I use for my whiting fishing. Will give you an idea of what to shop for.

My 2 Favs are my little G Loomis DSR820S lightweight spinning outfit and the Snyder Glass "Contessa" , 9 foot ultra light with 6 inch Alvey and 3kg line on both outfits. But most soft action rods with light line will do the trick.

Cheers
    Craigie

Hey Craigie was the bait blood worms or beach worms
    bazza

g'day Bazza,

Had blood worms mate !

A mate uses Yabbies and Beach worms and does ok too, so they are not too fussy at times.

Cheers
    Craigie

No, mate. Was about four months ago that I went up the Nerang with Brad.

Well done mate, that's a nice feed.

Hey craigie, can you identify where in the Nerang system this was taken. There are some distinctiver houses in the background. I was there, but I was lost. :-) . That's me with one of the many bream we caught and released.

https://www.facebook.com/peter.kroll

I'm not 100% sure of the location Peter ? But the river is looking wide , so could be upstream a bit of a way ? Carrara ?
    I'll do a bit of investigating next trip .

Craigie, there was a caravan park nearby. I'll check it out on google. We pulled in for a coffee. Coffee was quite good.

Peter it is in the Carrarra stretch of the Nerang, near the Carrarra boat ramp.

The Nerang is a great river, holds some very good fish and a lot of different species.

The Whiting have been biting their head off for the past 3 months, cheers wayne

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    Peter it is in the Carrarra stretch of the Nerang, near the Carrarra boat ramp.

The Nerang is a great river, holds some very good fish and a lot of different species.

The Whiting have been biting their head off for the past 3 months, cheers wayne
    The past 3 months wow! I've pulled a feed here and there with the odd 40+ but not fishing in the Nerang. Perhaps I should though. Thanks Youngy. Great catch craigy by the way. Ben