Thread: bunker group, early oct - from Gladstone or 1770???

bunker group, early oct - from Gladstone or 1770???

hey folks,

I've been doing a fair bit of reading through the forums the last few days, so there is lots of good info about.

As usual, weather permitting, the intention is to do Friday 4th - Sunday 6th of October in and amongst the reefs of the bunker groups... i am yet to get out that wide, but they look unbelievable..

I have done a few sessions out from yeppon & a bit further north before, so I have an idea of what i am fishing for, but was keen to get your thoughts on where you would launch from?

I've been out 1770 a couple of times, but not to the wide grounds, never gladstone. Looking on the maps, Gladstone looks like you could get a bit more protection from 40k out, and a few options to cruise around, and anchor up for a night or two...

I'll be in a 6.25 tournament, 200l + a few extra jerries... I was wondering what your thoughts were RE departure point?

Also be keen to know if there will be people on the water for the safety in numbers philosophy..

Thanks guys.

Re: bunker group, early oct - from Gladstone or 1770???

Hey mate, welcome to the site!
    I'm no expert on the area, and no doubt you'll get plenty of info more relevant from the scores of blokes on here that practically live up there, but here's my 2 bobs worth:
    Yes, it's magic country!! I've visited and or stayed in both Lady Musgrave and Fitzroy lagoons several times, and (in good weather) they are absolute paradise. Musgrave is particularly beautiful, with its beaches and turquoise waters. The beaches are actually coarse shell grit and dead coral, do watch it, if you plan to go ashore (strongly recommended).
    The entrances to both lagoons are no problem, but it us best to use your plotter to make a safe route, during the day, if you plan to come and go at night.
    Your rig would be pretty economical I'd imagine, but take heaps of fuel if you're planning a few days out.
    I've only ever launched from 1770, but can see your point of Gladstone being a bit closer, particularly to the northern end of the group. Personally, I just love Agnes and 1770, and leaving from there and supporting the local businesses, is all part of the experience.
    I'm up there next week with the family and can't wait!! Good luck with your trip, don't forget to let us know how you go!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Thanks very much for that FisHard, Where we end up, and where we sleep will probably be a decisive factor.

Obviously fitzroy and musgrave both look spectacular, but i imagined if i launched from Gladstone i prob wouldn't make it as far south as musgrave. Is this the only cay in the group you could reach landfall and camp?

My thoughts were fairly much focused on protection form any southerly groundswell... I've been out from goldy & sunny over a number of years now - but tend to feel agnes can blow up a bit worse then SEQ... Is that a misconception Ive made?

Plenty of fuel sounds like the go, if its looking good to cover ground. I do like agnes as well, and here you about supporting the local business... 10days out and praying for good weather!

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    I'm up there next week with the family and can't wait!! Good luck with your trip, don't forget to let us know how you go!
    And to think that muddytoes has been up here for 2 weeks and you missed out meeting him again ......

Quote Originally Posted by cobiaman View Post
    And to think that muddytoes has been up here for 2 weeks and you missed out meeting him again ......
    I'd been pushing that as far back in my consciousness as possible, but now you go and bring it up again.. i can only hope, there's a little piece of Muddy left up there that can satisfy my needs...

Debolte, it's hard to say re the weather blowing up more than say off the Goldie. There's always a risk it will come up when you do a few days offshore, which is something you wouldn't do off Southport etc. I have run back from Musgrave to 1770 in a 25 kt NE and it wasn't pretty, but we did it (3 loooooong hours, and the bar was full surf). I'm sorry, I can't help re the other places to stay, though I've heard North West island mentioned before.

yeah good chat... I am probably looking for a forecast window peaking @ 15knts knowing it could pick up when I'm out there...

the mind is still swaying back & forth but entertaining the idea of calling musgrave base & launching from 1770...

FYI Camping is permitted on North West, Mast Head and Lady Musgrave islands according Dept National Parks... not as much forums on the other two islands, but will keep researching. If not this time, they will be added to the bucket list.

In regards to Lady Musgrave - I have four POB so Friday am - sunday am may need a bit of land time to stretch the legs & to have a good sleep one of the nights. I am in touch with people about camping permits & have looked at the site arrangements map for anchoring & access in the lagoon.

Interested in some first hand advice though - have you (or others) anchored in the lagoon & camped on musgrave for a night? How big is the channel to landfall on the island itself to unload gear (esky, tents, etc) & is it tide specific to reach the beach?

Will it rip up the fibreglass if it was beached softly during unload or should someone hold the boat of the coral beach while its unloaded? What about anchoring at night - swim over to the beach or would you get a little inflatable to paddle...

I've also just order a copy of Noel Patricks Curtis Coast which a few people rave about...

This forum is excellent resource - we'll done to the community, looking forward to giving back & posting a decent report about the trip!

Debolte, I have fished a fair bit around Lamont and fitzroy. Usually we fish lamont and stay in fitzroy over night. If you head to the bombies on the south western sid of lamont you are usually sure of catching a decent feed, if you can find some ground in deeper water away from the reef you can get some fish worth bragging about. We head out from Turkey Beach, might be an option for you as your car and trailer are usually pretty safe there. Hope this helps you get out there as it is a beautiful part of the world.

Camping on musgrave, north west etc are by permit only and the numbers are strictly controlled. Make sure you book well ahead.
    Both are great spots.
    Musgrave is easier because you can access the lagoon and beach in any tide. North west requires you plan around the tides.
    Musgrave is also a quicker trip if you launch from 1770, so if the weather turns pear shaped its less to run home.
    Plenty of good ground to fish from either.

Cheers
    Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Yes mate, the channel into the beach at lady Musgrave is fairly narrow but is easy to follow. There's a couple of markers put in by the Spirit of 1770 people to guide you and with a bit of sunshine, the path through the coral stands out strongly. High tide on the beach is softer, but otherwise I wouldn't put my boat ashore. We did camp on the island one trip and it was a real disaster, mostly due to crap weather and poor planning. We were lucky that we had low tide at 6pm, so just anchored off the beach and waded in. The tide obviously then rose through the night and then we waded back out to it. I don't really know if that was the proper thing to do, and I wouldn't recommend it, but that's what we did!! I reckon the inflatable would be the go. You've probably seen it already, but there's a fuel storage point on lady Musgrave too. Be prepared for all your camping gear to get covered in bird poo, there's thousands of the buggers on the island. Beautiful place though!

You will enjoy visiting Gods Own Country , just make sure or suss out the closed season dates early October sometime..

Hi debolte,

There is a Coral Reef Fin Fish closure when your planning to head up here from midnight 1st October through midnight 6th October

Cheers Gazza

Hi Gazza, just checked it out - your spot on, & that is a massive spanner in the plans.... hmmm... (http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries...s-tidal-waters) & map (http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/__data/as...ng-closure.pdf)

time to make a few calls & try to slide a couple of days towards the 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th...

Is there a thread going on the fin fish closure... Obviously bottom bashing is out - but does anyone know about targeting makerals buy trolling all good??

Need to start asking questions about GT hotspots & Poppers in the bunker group now...

Possibly also explains why Lady Musgrave campsite allocations are full on the sunday 6th.

Gts?? Now you're talkin! Although I haven't popped much around the bunkers, we've found them inside and just outside the Fitzroy lagoon, and outside of Lady Musgrave. There should be plenty of Mackerel going on at the moment and a good spot for them is Stuart Shoal, about 4 nm on the seaward side of Musgrave. When there's current running out there, you'll find the bait and the predators!