Thread: Pine river Jacks

Pine river Jacks

Just like about a million other people I'm keen to catch a jack in the pine this season. I've never got one on a rod, i got one about 30 cms last year in the cast net chasing bait. Just curious to see what sort of gear and lures I should be using and maybe a general direction. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Pine river Jacks

ive read and been told zman 5 inch red colour minow lookin thing with a 3/0 jig head forgot the name of them but they can bang against structure pretty good and not snag up if i think of it ill have a look at mine tomorrow im keen to get my first jack too ive been told pimpama river and coomera river too

You might be drawing a long bow to confidently pull a jack this season from the Pine River. Whilst it has some jacks, captures are not that frequent. I would suggest the Bribie Passage for a venue, they are much more regular in there than in the pine river.
    I have been fishing the Pine river for 44 yrs roughly and have caught a few jacks there, but i can match those years of fishing for one day fishing in the passage for jacks sometimes.

An overlooked local creek is cabbage tree creek for jacks, there are probably more in that creek than in the whole of the Pine system and gets a lot less fishing pressure. Sure are a lot of jetties and pilons and snags to investigate.
    Jack.

The pines a funny place for jacks. For the last few years iv managed 2 or 3 fish each year and they have always been caught with a few weeks of each other then nothing for the rest of the summer. They fish have been if average size aswell. Each year I set my self the goal of a pine jack that's 50cm+..Yes it's a very big ask but I have no doubt there in there.

If you fish smart and put in the time you are in with a chance but like others have said there's alot more promising place near by. All ways made me wonder why the pine dosnt have more jacks especially now that is has a fairly good population of fish like Jew, threadys, grunted and tarpon. Lets hope the fish quality continues to improve

Cheers

Thanks for the info guys I will defiantly give the passage ago, the pine is just easy as its literally a 2 minute drive away, should I start having ago or wait for it to warm up a bit more.

Sent you a PM mate

2 mins from the Pine - now that would be hard to take (2 hours myself). Hope to wet the tinny this weekend

Went out for a crack today for a few hours with only 1 flatty just undersized. Got a bit frustrated with the boat traffic I guess it's that time of the year now that every douche on there jet skis and ski boats come to race. So I headed right up river near Petrie and sure enough more jet skis right up where the river thins up. Probably going a bit off topic now but what's your thoughts on dealing with these guys? I had one guy on a ski come within about 10 meters of me going full pelt, how are we supposed to be stealthy with these nob heads around.

That's a typical weekend on the pine.. Iv had them come that close that they have splashed water in the boat.. That's when I arm my self with a few sinkers and wave the gaff in the air haha. Catching a few bullies when they are hanging around normally clears the area pretty quick.

Sad to say the pine attracts alot of rude water goers.. All ways has, all ways will.

same situation coomera river last weekend even through the rocky shoel area flyin through i was on kayak swearing lol