Thread: Lowrance LMF400

Lowrance LMF400

Team,

Have a LMF400 in my boat which has worked well for a few years until giving up the ghost a while back. Due to the limited backup for this where I live and lack of local knowledge, I have been unable to get any help in how to find the problem short of buying a new one. Motor is a 2007 (I think) Suzuki DF115, all cables are free from cuts etc. Plugs have been rubber taped and free from corrosion. Power is good. Unit is plugged into the data port on the motor.
    Just a few points, the LMF400 has never displayed anything except volts, hours, engine revs and fuel flow, never been able to get a reading on oil pressure, water pressure, water temp, trim angle, pretty much anything except the few mentioned. Never bothered to delve into why as only really wanted fuel, and as mentioned no help from dealer so just let it slide. Any thoughts as to why??
    So, long story but short question, how can I test the individual bits to see what's broke??
    Have not been able to find much useful info on the web so hoping one of you helpful folk could point me in the right direction. Will attach photos of the bits in the hope that will help.

Whitty

Re: Lowrance LMF400

Anyone???? Just want a pin-out or diagram of some sort to start checking voltages etc.

whitty,

your problem is likely to be the engine interface. I have had one die and know of others that have as well (EP20 engine interface) mine lasted about 2 years as well, the interface itself can only be tested on another network or by using a HDS unit, from which you can run diags on the network.

you can buy a lowrance starter kit for $70.00 and replace all of the components piece by piece, the only part that is hard to get is the blue to red conversion cable, which you cant get anymore, but I have one.

I would also look at the way your backbone is setup, with both terminators attached to one tee. I would suggest putting a terminator on the each end (far left and far right) then bring your powere and device cables in to the centre.

nmea_connection.jpg

PM me if you want to have a chat.

Regards
    Honda.

Happen to have a HDS 7 sitting in the shed waiting to go in the boat so might have to get it in sooner rather than later. Thanks for the reply Honda, much appreciated. I will change the backbone setup as well, anyone got any tips as to where the best place to buy Nmea stuff over the web may be???

Put the HDS on the network (you will need another tee and nmea cable), the HDS has a diagnostic page under network\nmea200, see if you can see the ep20 in the list, Make sure the bus power is connected. you should be able to see the ep20 in the device list, if you cant, that is the most likely culprit.

Try Hustler motor sport for the EP20.

Regards
    HOnda.