Thread: Flatties Everywhere, Maroochy River 13/9/13

Flatties Everywhere, Maroochy River 13/9/13

Well I though Friday the 13th was suppose to be unlucky, but today was pretty good. Well I did drop that one big fish while mucking around with the landing net, but overall a good day.
    I hit the water late, and did not get away till 10.am, and it was pretty well low tide. As there's been no rain for awhile, I headed up stream, stopping at a little drain. On my 4th cast, the first flathead was on board.
    The gear I was using today was a Loomis rod, Shimano 2500 reel, 6 lb Finns braid, with 12 lb Leader. The most successful plastic was the Squidgy 80 mm wriggler, blood worm colour (original colour, see my post in the tackle section)
    After a few more flicks at my first spot I headed further up stream to look for likely flathead haunts. I would approach the areas I wanted to fish under electric engine which I feel is important when fishing in areas of high boat traffic.
    As I had to pick up the kids from school I was back in buy 2.15 having landed a dozen flatties, not bad for the middle of the day. All fish were released to fight another day.
    I have attached a few pictures. The picture of the fish next to the ice cold beer was one I sent to a mate of mine who was working, because that's the sort of stuff you need to do
    I met an older bloke at the boat ramp, and had a bit of a chat. He had been on the river, and came home with a Hairtail. I presume it was a Hairtail, long and skinny with lots of teeth. I have not seen one of those in the river before. He reckons he caught it on a bait down near twin waters.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	96326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat2.jpg 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	96327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat4.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	96328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat5.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	96329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat6.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	96330  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat7.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	96331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat8.JPG 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	96332  

Re: Flatties Everywhere, Maroochy River 13/9/13

nice one. No flatty can resist the old bloodworm wriggler
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

the ole blood worm wriggler with the extra dry teaser! pretty hard to resist that presentation on Friday!

Great work mate

Bermo

some nice flatties mate