Thread: Bougainville Reef info.

Bougainville Reef info.

I'm looking at options for our big Cairns Marlin adventure in October and stumbled upon a reef called Bougainville. It's about 100nm East of Cooktown (we are starting out here) and is a sea mount, rising up out of 2-3000m of water. It's way outside the regular Barrier Reef.
    I've googled it and come up with a few dive sites that rave about the undersea life, but I want to know about the pelagic fishing and specifically the Gts and Dogtooth.
    Does anyone have any info to share? Or is anyone better at searching that could post a few links? Thanks for any info or help!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: Bougainville Reef info.

Good luck. You will have until July 2014 to fish this reef as it is part of the Coral Sea Marine Reserve. Thanks to Bourke and PEW etc .... Unless the new Government makes some changes?

http://www.environment.gov.au/minist...r20121116.html

There is some interesting history on the Reef here: http://www.bow2stern.com.au/index.ph...sk=view&id=192

Sounds like a fascinating place to visit (&fish!).

All the best, hope you get the opportunity to fish there.
    Jim

Re: Bougainville Reef info.

Good on you Jim! That historical article is gold! Imagine building the beacon that far offshore! Must have been a challenge and a half!
    It's certainly added more petrol to the fire of curiosity that this place has started. Our group and skipper are particularly keen to explore wild and remote corners of the reef and Bougainville sounds ideal. Our trop last year out to Flinders Reef was probably the pinnacle of my time on the water. Whilst the fishing wasn't exactly the hottest (still got trophy fish, but had to work for them) just the experience of being involved with such unspoilt nature, was mind blowing. Oh, and the 3 days of less than 5 kts wind helped!
    Thanks again for the info!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fruit salad is the new Bacon