Thread: YETI Question

YETI Question

YETI = Yet Another Transducer Install question

I have a late 70's/early 80's Seafarer V-Sea and I have just retired the original Amber CRT Sounder that came with the boat and in it's place will be a new Furuno FCV627. It came with a transom mount Airmar P66.

My problem is that the original unit would lose bottom very quickly at anything over trolling speeds and I'd like to improve on that. You'll see in the photo where the original tranny was placed, right on a strake.

I know that I need to find the cleanest water around for good transmission but the photo of a similar model I found on the web kind of illustrates my problem, there's stuff all clean water coming out from underneath.

Has anyone had any success actually fitting a transom mount unit to the back of these older Seafarers? I think that there's an archived post where someone reported success but the photos are missing.

As an alternative, just forward of the transom is a nice thickening that would seem to be perfect for a through hull fitting, but I only get one chance at getting that right. At least with the transom mount I can fill holes in the gelcoat all day.

The old unit (150w - oh the power of the thing)
    Any advice is much appreciated.FMV601.jpgSeafarer.jpg

Re: YETI Question

The shape of the old one is killing the picture

I owned the same model v-sea you have and had no issues with the transom mount when it is setup correctly.

I don't think its worth the effort of a thru hull model with this hull
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks Garry,

I musn't have been logged in correctly the first time, the pictures and experience told here help a lot.

136548-Furuno-585-Transducer-on-Viking-Frustration&highlight=viking+transducer

Cheers,

Dave

Gee Garry
    Spent plenty on my old Seafarer....great hull....
    cheers TC

I would tray to mount on another side of the motor

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ning-question&

I have a similar style old hull. If I ever remount it, I would go closer to centre. Mine reads well at speed in flat conditions but when it chops up I get interference. I have put it down to aerated water as the hull works through the chop.

Cheers
    Craig

Just an update on the transducer placement - I ended up going the 75mm just outside the prop circle, figuring I might have to move it once or twice but on a run to Cape Moreton today it was sweet as, kept the bottom no matter what the speed or sea state, so very happy.

Now to mount the cable etc properly.

Cheers,

Dave

After looking at the mounting position in the first pic...maybe that was the problem....

I was of the opinion that the tranny should NOT be mounted over a strake

Cheers, Ray.
    Last edited by solemandownunder; 07-10-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: More info

Ray,

Agree totally. The transducer was set up like that when I became the latest owner. Crappy position, the cable entered the hull UNDER the waterline so I was always iffy about the sealing and no excess cable to play with anyway. When the old electronics started to play up I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Just for interest sake, I have the GPS and the sounder "talking" although so far its the GPS giving the info to the sounder in the main, and I thought I'd give it a little test. Put the co-ordinates for the Aarhus wreck into the GPS, drove to that spot and voila, one wreck. Spent more time getting to know the sounder than I did fishing but wow, what an improvement over the old unit.

Cheers,

Dave