Thread: mackerel off mooloolaba?

mackerel off mooloolaba?

Hey guys,

anyone no if the macks have started turning up off Mooloolaba yet? any and all hints and tips welcome.

makka

Re: mackerel off mooloolaba?

<ninja-edit> saw a few small schoolies brought in at few at spinnaker sound (Bribie) today, apparently from over towards Moreton

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    saw a small spotties brought in at few at spinnker sound (Bribie) today, apparently from over towards Moreton
    Schoolies or Spotties??
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

A bit early for mackerel in south east queensland their migration has them in northern waters still I don't bother targeting them till December you can get the odd catch all through the year by chance

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Schoolies or Spotties??
    Well, after rechecking images of each type I'll go with schoolies but they had alot of spots and the spots were alot more prominent than usual.

Had a mate bagged out on schoolies on Saturday in the bay, but there was at least one spotty in his bag. The pros line fishers were working a patch too and took a heap.

Must have been a small localised school, I'd be waiting for December as well.

Schoolies are available from August onwards. There used to be a good run of them in the Rous this time of year. The Spotties seem to run much later with the schools turning up from November onwards. The further north you go the earlier they switch on
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I did my first trip of the year off mooloolaba on sunday, was looking for Macs but only got yellowfin tuna.