Thread: Top session - 7 metres of flathead in 6 hours fishing

Top session - 7 metres of flathead in 6 hours fishing

Made a last minute decision to go for a fish this weekend. Ended up launching about 2 pm Saturday and headed down towards the bar. Pulled up on my favourite bank on the dropping tide to flick some plastics. Was pretty slow going for the first 2 hours fishing with only two little flatties for about 500 m of walking in the first two hours. The gutter was holding some bait tho which was a good sign. Once the tide started running in things picked up with another 10 flatties in the next 90 minutes. Best was about 50 cm which went into the esky and there were another two legals and the rest were unders. Stopped fishing about 6.30 pm as the bite had stopped.

Back into it about 5 am in the morning. Took me awhile to find the fish again but it was worth the effort, First fish was 40 cm, next was 75, then another just under. That was followed by a fat 80 cm lizard, all before 6.30 am. The bite slowed, but I managed another good fish at 73 cm around 7.30 am.

Walking the banks and flicking plastics for flathead is one of my favourite forms of fishing. I was very happy with the session Sat arvo - good fun session on little fish - but the session on Sunday morning was unbelievable. Great fun catching big flatties on light gear in shallow water.

I kept the 73, 75 and 50 for a feed. The big girl and all the littlies went back. 12 flatties average 35 cm Sat + (40 + 75 + 35 + 80 + 73) on Sunday = over 7 m of flathead!!
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Top session - 7 metres of flathead in 6 hours fishing

Photo of the 75.

Plastics used were 3" berkley powerbait in pearl watermelon and a 3" atomic paddletail in chartreuse
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	96209  
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

MMM would that be Kalinga Bank your speaking of

Nice stuff! certainly seems to be loads of them around. Had a mega session on them from the sand last week myself(over the border) getting 14 legals and numerous unders in less than 2 hrs. great stuff again. ben

Surprisingly little boat traffic on Saturday, but it was much busier and the usual chaos at the ramp when I got back at 8.30 am Sunday. I could see Kalinga bank from where I was fishing, but I ain't giving the spot away :-)

Great fishing, very jealous. Surprised you kept the ones over 70cm.. poor eating IMO.

J

Good report - sounds like you smashed 'em Jeremy and good to see those big fish swim off and breed!

Out there today a few better fish showing up but the northerlies have stuffed the water quality big time after a few days!

Narrow window of opportunity when the good water is about - travelling around was the key.