Thread: Elite 5 DSI Plotter.

Elite 5 DSI Plotter.

Hey guys,

Bought one of these brand new really cheap from the states. I read that it would have Australian base maps. I didn't realise that a base map meant just a picture of Australia itself! Any how. I won't be using chart function too much so I don't find the need to spend 100's of dollars on Navionics cards. Is there anywhere I could get a cheap map or a free map (or maybe even reload an Aussie firmware?), just something I can see where markers are, check drift lines and see logs. I know it sounds like I should just buy a card but I just don't see me using it frequently.

Thanks!

Re: Elite 5 DSI Plotter.

I like my Elite 5 DSI Plotter. I think the detail on the charts are Excellent.
    How much is a card? Surely you will be better off with one?
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Being a Lowrance import it may be geofenced so borrow a card before you outlay anything as it may not operate downunder
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Why don't you test the trim angles, possibly the height of your engine.... then come around and get the cracks repaired and the height of the transom increased?
    While you are here have a play with the card from my Elite 5DSI.
    Its all too easy.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

The trim angle seems ok. I don't see how it will get better, the only thing is most of the time I prefer a person to sit next to me when I'm shooting around. It just seems to go better with a second person sitting in the rear as the nose tends to get up a bit better. When I first bought it I was getting really went with the most mild winds, I changed the trim angle up one and that helped a lot to keep the nose out of the water. I think it could go one more. The keel and the cav plate are spot on but all I need to do is get some aluminum welded to the transom and capping to fix her up permanently.. and I don't have a tig handy.

I'm quite certain the elites are not geofenced, just maps are different. I searched all this before purchasing. It just comes preloaded with maps from USA. The price of a gold card is about $300+, silver is 120.

no point having a plotter without a chart card.

I have an HDS 8 and an elite5, and no way would I leave the elite 5 without the chart card. - there is zero usable detail without a chart card.

nup sorry mate.. card only . might be able to get one cheap online 2nd hand. lowrance wont want to help with warranty issues either

Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to take the plunge and get a second hand one cheap.